I’ll be blogging from iHollywood Forum’s Search & Media event. It started with a great keynote from Safa Rashtchy (and yes, I still need to copy and paste that to get the spelling right).
Safa Rashtchy, Managing Director, Sr.
Research Analyst, Piper Jaffray & Co.
6 Trends a Drivers of the User Revolution
1. The emergence of “communitainment” – teens being entertained as a commmunity
– Community + Communication + Entertainment
– Advertisers must
“Over the next 10 years, we expect more than half of Internet usage will be communitainment”
He puts it at 30% right now. Advertisers need a new type of message and a new way to transmit that message.
2. Increasing popularity of Usites – user-generated websites
– Yelp, TripAdvisor, Yahoo Answers, YouTube – mass medium
3. Mainstreaming of the internet
TV still populari, but it’s more about how the Web is being used as part of the daily routine
4. Declining usage of traditional media
TV ratings down
“There’s a difference between TV being on and people watching TV. A) People are not watching, and B) if they’re watching, they’re doing a lot of other things too.”
5. Fragmentation of content consumption
Half of people use the Web while watching TV, but when the ads come on, they’re all on out
6. Evolution of user-generated brands