From Ideals to Ideas
Navigating New Channels: Building Your Brand for the Social Age
Context: Starbucks (RED): For every beverage purchased, $0.05 went to global fund
Things used to be simpler (yes, hearing that a lot here).
“If Twitter carries on at the same pace it will reach 100 million users by the end of the year.”
1. Objectives for Starbucks RED:
- Drive trial and purchase of Starbucks RED beverages over holidays
- Build awareness, traffic, participation online
- Get positive sentiment
- Bought – paid media online and offline
- Owned – websites, SEO, retail
- Earned – social media, commentary, SEO
2. Customer Needs/Values
- Social media monitoring
- VOC surveys
- In-home interiews
- Media planning tools
- Technographic tools
3. Where is their customer? Why do they do what they do?
4. Where is their brand?
Start with what worked in traditional sense. Then incorporate what they’ve learned.
– Personality, Values, Promise, Benefits, Attributes
Brand ideal: Doing something good every day – in Starbucks DNA, but must be easy.
Spectrum: CADENCE: frequent/infrequent, FORMALITY: informal/formal
Led to most viral event on Facebook.
1.4 million days of medicine in first two weeks.
3.7 million days of medicine by March.
50% increase in Facebook fans.
Over 2 million branded searches.
#1 video of the day on YouTube
Over a million virtual drinks given
100s of thousands of visits to site