Have you ever been bribed to read a newsletter?
Well, it’s about freakin’ time someone’s paid you to read.
That’s because I just launched the brand spanking new Marketing Coin trading as $CMO on Rally.io, the platform for Creator Coins.
Come for the innovation, stay for the shilling.
(Get it? Shilling?)
Anyhoo… I found out about this from my friend Jeremiah Owyang, a Rally advisor who’s been one of my best guides to emerging tech over the past 15 years.
He floated the idea of me having my personal coin trading as $DAVID or $BERKY. I loved it. I’d wanted a personal token ever since I first learned about Dogecoin (really) when it launched years ago.
The best use case, however, seemed to be to incorporate the currency into my community. To make that work, I needed a symbol that marketers could relate to. Like the community, this is bigger than me.
$SMARK and $MRKTR were clunky. I considered options like $LEARN, $TRY, or $SHARE based on the community’s tagline. They didn’t scream “marketing” though; that required too much of a leap.
I asked the community for ideas, and it’s probably the most active thread we’ve had. I offered up some tokens to whoever had the winning idea. Melissa Wallace suggested $CTRS ($CTR was taken) or $KPIS based on marketing acronyms. I Googled “marketing acronyms” and CMO popped up. It was perfect.
We have a ton of chief marketing officers in the group, others aspire to be one, and many others target CMOs when pitching their businesses. I IMed Jeremiah immediately, and Melissa later got a special $CMO delivery.
As for how we’ll use $CMO, I’m still figuring it out, but I have some initial plans and ideas.
Here’s what we will or may do with $CMO:
-Allow members to reward and thank each other. I started a #kudos channel for the community the day I launched the coin, encouraging anyone to send #kudos to other members (just not me) and receive a coin drop.
-Surprise and delight members for various acts of kindness, support, and service.
-Offer a way to buy premium memberships in return for a coin donation. I haven’t yet priced this out but will try it.
-Add a referral rewards program for those who invite members to the community. I have this for the newsletter, as you may have seen (more on that below), but it was always too hard to set it up for Slack community referrals. This coin gets closer to making that happen.
-One member suggested a bookstore where Serial Marketers authors could sell books in exchange for $CMO tokens.
-I’ve wanted to set up a portal for members to sell their courses online under a Serial Marketers gateway; coins could be part of that payment system.
-Build this into Serial Marketers Advisors where advisors can accept coins as payment or tips when people book time with them.
-Add coins as a way to fund posts on a job board (another long-time wishlist item I will launch at some point).
-Welcome coin donations as tips from newsletter readers (thanks, you shouldn’t have).
Those are just some ideas. I’d love to hear yours. Integrating all this isn’t easy yet, but I expect that to get better over time based on my conversations with the Rally team.
There are two ways you can earn some CMO coins right now if you want to play along and try this out:
1) Just reply with your rally.io ID, and I’ll send you 5 $CMO coins. No questions asked. It takes a minute to set up a username. That’s how I got my first Owyang coins ($JOW). (Note: this expires 2/28/21, limit one per reader, so you do have to respond somewhat soon.)
2) I’m launching my first contest using SparkLoop which powers the referral rewards in the newsletter. For anyone who refers a reader between now and when I produce the next newsletter, so through Mon 3/1, I’ll enter you in a drawing where two of you will get 25 $CMO coins (you’re entered by referring a minimum of one subscriber), and whoever refers the most will get 50 $CMO coins. That’s on top of the regular referral rewards, which now also include… shocker… $CMO coins, for every time you make 10 referrals.
To make sure you enter the contest, use your personal referral link here: https://www.serialmarketer.net/subscribe/?rh_ref=823bcd55
All of this is a way to learn by doing. A little bribery can help us all learn how this Creator Coin economy works.
Have more ideas for what to do with it? Let me know. I’m fascinated by it but am just starting to learn myself, and I know many readers are deep in this space or are more creative than me. I’m excited to hear from you.
PS: Serial Marketers is hosting Esports and Gaming Week this week. See details on LinkedIn where more than 500 people have said they’re coming. Join us! Thanks to Zachary Rozga and the team at The Consumer Engagement Company for pulling this together. A replay of the Esports and Gaming panel is available here.
PS 2: One of many new community features is our new events calendar. Please check it out, and submit your own. We have tons of events listed now. Just visit https://serialmarketers.net/events/.
PS 3: “The Shilling” would be the best name ever for a British marketing newsletter.——————————————————-
BROUGHT TO YOU BY… ZOOMCOMPANYEVENTS
For All Serial Marketers, ZoomCompanyEvents is offering a 20% discount off all Zoom Product Launches for the month of February and March.
For those who are interested in learning more, we have made a custom checklist for all Serial Marketers.
Get it here: http://www.bit.ly/ZCEProductLaunch.
LEARN. TRY. SHARE.
I’m trying a new experiment here, curating news automatically via my friends at Vestorly. Let me know what you think.
Thanks to Wendy Weatherford Marks, Orlando Tirado, Rachael Todd, Sharon Feder, Claudia Strauss, Sandy Sloane, Michael Browne, Michael Marzano, and Chris Gorges for spreading the word about the newsletter recently.
Here’s your own personalized link, with more referral rewards for sharing the newsletter. Visit https://referralhub.page/serialmarketer to see how you’re doing.https://www.serialmarketer.net/subscribe/?rh_ref=823bcd55
Share via: Email | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn————————————————–
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/events/. All events below are virtual, and all times are EST.
SERIAL MARKETERS SALONS
RSVP on our private Meetup (request access if you’re not there)
SERIAL MARKETERS SPEEDUPS
Alternating Thursdays, 12pm
Join the virtual 1:1 rapid-fire speed-meeting event to connect with fellow Serial Marketers, hosted on the Upstream app.
ESPORTS AND GAMING WEEK OFFICE HOURS
Last chance to sign up for gaming experts’ office hours through Serial Marketers on Upstream. If you’re not on Upstream yet, visit https://upstreamapp.com/ and request to join Serial Marketers. Then tap “Social Events” on the Serial Marketers page and click “Office Hours” to see everyone’s availability. Book slots with anyone you want to meet!
ZEITGUIDE CULTURE CLASS (with Brad Grossman)
WHERE WE ARE NOW & WHERE WE ARE GOING
March 3, 4pm
ZEITGUIDE Founder, Brad Grossman, takes you on a learning journey through some of the most important cultural trends of 2021:
“Sticking with my ’embarking on a cultural renaissance’ theme, I will review the inspiring ways we pivoted during the last year and how this will motivate us for the next era of humanity.”
Use code “KEEPLEARNING” for a 50% discount.
March 3, 6pm
First Wednesday keeps going strong. We have dozens of people RSVPing for this fun NYC tradition led by Zack Rosenberg.
WOMEN OF IMPACT: A SEAT AT THE TABLE
March 8, 2pm
Via Christine Crandell in the community:
Join Coupa Empower as we celebrate International Women’s Day with three international public Board Directors who will share stories, insights, and perspectives on their career and lifelong journey of impact.
I’m not sure if Stubb’s delivers to me, but I’ll be seeing if they can capture any of the magic with the online festival. “Register today to take advantage of the unique opportunities this event has to offer, including keynotes, Conference sessions, Music Festival showcases, Film Festival screenings, world-class networking, and the unexpected discoveries that are always a part of SXSW, all in a digital setting.”
PERSONALIZE YOUR EMAILS WITH DYNAMIC NOTIFICATION BANNERS
March 18, 1pm
Via Randy Levy in the community:
Notification banners are widely used on the web, but are rarely used in email marketing messages. That’s about to change in 2021. Join Zembula CEO, Robert Haydock, and Tom Buchok, CEO of MailCharts, for a discussion on bringing your emails up to speed with critical updates and hyper-personalized notification banners.
WOMEN IN ECOMMERCE
March 25, 4pm
Via William Álvarez in the community:
Registration for the second installment of our Women in eCommerce event is now open! We’re bringing together a great line-up of senior eCommerce executives, including the Chief Digital Officers of E.L.F. Beauty and WD-40, for another inspiring evening of conversations & connections.
April 7, 6pm
First Wednesday keeps going strong. We have dozens of people RSVPing for this fun NYC tradition led by Zack Rosenberg.
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Here are some great opportunities shared there or sent to me directly.
Senior Brand Manager
Remote US or Canada
Via Sandhya Simhan in the community:
Are you a strong marketing generalist with a passion for content? Do you want to join the fascinating world of VC funds and early stage startups?I’m hiring a full time Senior Brand Manager to help me show off the amazingness of AI Fund. You’ll get to work with and learn from an ecosystem of experienced marketers while also owning the AI Fund corporate brand.
(Senior) Product Marketing Manager
Via Kristin Hambelton in the community:
MineralTree is searching for a Product Marketing Manager to be the voice of value and differentiation for our integrated payables and payments offerings. This individual will work hand in glove with our Product Management, Sales, and Marketing teams to deliver messaging, positioning, content, and enablement that entices and excites multiple audiences, including prospects, existing customers, and bank partners.
Product Marketing Manager, Growth Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA
Via Jesse Friedman in the community:
Former boss while we were both at Google is now working with a company that’s got an amazing way to reverse Type 2 diabetes without drugs. They’re a Series D called Virta Health. He’s hiring these two roles:
Via Eric Tash in the community:
Are you passionate about digital and being part of a cutting-edge new vertical? Fyllo is looking for a motivated Account Executive that can acquire and build meaningful client relationships. Do you thrive under pressure and hustle to get things done? If so, we want to hear from you as we are growing our revenue team.
KA CONSULTING GROUP
Copywriter & Strategist
Via Kimberly Afonso in the community:
We have an opening for a copywriter & strategist (full-time and 100% remote) with a background in research, anthropology, or any other related field. Most of the work we do can be most closely related to research and ghostwriting based.
Various consultant roles
New York or remote
Via Sharon Lee Thony in the community:
We are looking for new consultants to join our team at SLT Consulting, a digital marketing freelance collective. We have immediate needs for email marketers (Klaviyo, MailChimp, Hubspot), copywriters, content creators, paid social experts and business development managers. If you or anyone you know might be interested, please pass along this Google Form: SLTC Potential Talent Questionnaire.
Via Karen in the community:
The Evergreen Trading Marketing team’s key initiatives include working closely with internal teams (sales and media activation) to increase brand awareness, deepen existing relationships and elevate the Media Trade category. The Marketing Director will act as right-hand to EVP Marketing, New Business Development across sales and marketing; setting overall growth strategy; discerningly evaluating potential opportunities and identifying new streams of growth.
Social Media Specialist
Via Arielle Kimbarovsky in the community:
We’re looking for a driven, self-motivated social media specialist to join our marketing team. You’ll be a key player in developing our audience on organic social channels through smart content and community engagement. In this role, you’ll own organic campaigns, collaborate with other teams, and drive growth. You’ll also work on platforms like Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, Reddit, reviews, and more.
Other job resources:
- Advisable: Get instant access to top marketing freelancers
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- CareerList: Here’s a form for companies hiring and a form for job seekers; here’s the public list with tabs for both
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- GLG: Get paid to share your topical expertise; it can lead to some interesting conversations at a potentially decent hourly rate
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Hunterz: A way for connectors to get paid to introduce startups to large enterprises
- Lead5: A paid service for executive roles, plus intel on changes with companies and PE investments; you can try a risk-free weeklong trial to see if it’s any good for your needs
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Where you can hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Remotists: Remote startup jobs, chronicled weekly
- Sales Hustle Stack: Find platform-based gigs and other creative ways to earn some extra cash
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal Job Tracker: A free Chrome extension to manage and enhance your job search
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Wanted: Wanted helps top talent in tech and marketing find a job at your desired pay. Plug in your salary, stay anonymous at first, and connect with companies that want to recruit you.
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
OFFERS (NEW SECTION)
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).
Get lifetime access to this file management tech with three seats, all free. (Premium members get five seats; see the Slack channel for details and a custom link.)