Today’s edition might be awkward.
I’m American and write for a largely American audience. Why risk the cultural appropriation here with a Cinco de Mayo allegory?
Because the holiday was already appropriated, crushed, swirled around in a keg-sized margarita machine, and poured out in Texas-sized goblets here in America. It’s a bigger holiday (and a far more commercial one — shocker) in the US than it is in Mexico, at least anywhere outside of Mexico’s state of Puebla whose history inspired the holiday.
Cinco de Mayo is the perfect example of a holiday that celebrates marketing, and it celebrates marketers.
Here’s the gist:
By some unwritten rule, every explainer about Cinco de Mayo must state that this holiday is not Mexico’s Independence Day, which is an actual Mexican holiday that celebrates something of greater importance to Mexico — namely her independence from Spain on September 16, 1810.
Once Spain retreated to the gator-infested swamps of Florida, Mexico still faced the problem of owning coveted property in an increasingly crowded neighborhood. Its current border would take shape after Mexico lost 55% of its territory in the Mexican-American War (1846-1848) and then a chunk of current Arizona and New Mexico in the Gadsden Purchase completed in 1854.
Cinco de Mayo celebrates a much more minor, local event. While the US was fulfilling its Manifest Destiny (John O’Sullivan’s words, not mine), the French were still coveting Mexico. On May 5, 1862, Mexican General Ignacio Zaragoza overcame a much larger French force at the Battle of Puebla, giving Mexico a shot in the arm that had nothing to do with pandemics.
Like vaccine shots, that one wore off too. France came back with a vengeance one year later and routed Mexico, taking Mexico City in the process. Mexico soon reverted to the Mexicans, and today Mexico City boasts some of the finest museums and food in the world, all with precious little French influence and a much more favorable exchange rate for Americans.
What Cinco de Mayo reminds all of us is to celebrate our victories whenever we can.
You don’t know how long you’ll have to enjoy the victory.
Savor it. Celebrate it. Issue a proclamation so that everyone knows about it, or at least #humblebrag the hell out of it on LinkedIn.
Maybe next year, you’ll lose your capital city — or your largest account. Maybe the mojo that won you the piece of business will wear off. Maybe your favorite client ever will leave, and the new client lead will have another team to bring in.
General Zaragoza knew what a win could do for morale. We’re all looking for positivity to cling to. Hope isn’t a strategy, but it is a stimulant.
More than 150 years after that Battle of Puebla, not a lot of people outside of Mexico know what happened. I sure didn’t.
The battle lasted from daybreak to early evening and could have gone practically unnoticed.
You know why it didn’t?
Because Mexico had some pretty good marketers on their side. And we could all use some marketers like Zaragoza.
You know what the biggest secret to Zaragoza’s success was in creating what became Cinco de Mayo?
He did the work. He won the battle. He earned the win.
And then he made sure that one way or another, the world wouldn’t forget it.
If you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo today, the first toast should be to health, and another toast to life would be so fitting. But maybe pour a third and drink to Zaragoza, a marketer among generals and a general among marketers.
PS: First Wednesdays, our ad and marketing industry mixers in NYC, are back in person! We’re meeting today at 5 pm in Madison Square Park. Join Zack Rosenberg and me, and a host of industry luminaries in a tradition going back 20 years.
- Cadbury Is Urging Shoppers Not To Buy Cadbury Chocolate by Anna Lewis
- Social Distance Tracker: Learnings From Our Second Reemergenceby PlaceIQ
- Rally Raises $57M to Fund Community Driven Growth by Kurt Patat
- Digital Horses Are the Talk of the Crypto World by Taylor Lorenz
- History of influencer marketing and its transparency today by Peter Suciu
HOW TO SHARE
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards.
Here’s your own personalized link, with more referral rewards for sharing the newsletter. Visit https://
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
SERIAL MARKETERS SALONS
- 5/11: Leo Morejon, social media marketing lead, Applegate, and host of Prove It Matters
- 5/18: David Spinks, CMX founder, VP Community at Bevy, and author of The Business of Belonging (RSVP here – meeting via Bevy, not Zoom)
RSVP on our Meetup (updated link)
SERIAL MARKETERS SPEEDUPS
Alternating Thursdays, 12pm
Join the virtual 1:1 rapid-fire speed-meeting event to connect with fellow Serial Marketers, hosted on the Upstream app.
May 5, 5-7pm
This fun NYC tradition led by Zack Rosenberg is finally back in person! If you’re up for it, join us at the Shake Shack in Madison Square Park.
CREATIVE SPIRIT VIRTUAL GALA
May 6, 8pm
Via Mack in the community:
“I’m on the Board of Creative Spirit & Co-Chair of this year’s Gala. 85% of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities are unemployed. Creative Spirit’s mission is to get 1M of these adults hired over the next 10 years. If you think your company is a fit for partnership, please email me email@example.com. It’s not too late for your brand/agency/company to come on board as a sponsor!”
THE FUTURE OF EVERYTHING FESTIVAL
“The Wall Street Journal’s Future Of Everything Festival brings together the most revolutionary minds to explore the ideas forming what comes next. Over three days of unscripted interviews and interactive workshops, attendees with an eye on emerging trends will hear from and collaborate with entrepreneurs, artists, athletes, scientists and thinkers for a first look at the seismic shifts occurring in the way we live, work and play.”
BRAND INSIDER SUMMIT D2C
“The rapid shifts in consumer demands and shopping behaviors caused by COVID, shifted D2Cs into fast forward. Did this set a new stage in your brands evolution? Though positioned to flourish, did it also put D2C’s into more direct competition with legacy retailers who got game digitally this year? At the Spring 2021 virtual edition, we focus on the practical – solving for retention, personalization, expansion.”
HOW TIKTOK AND SHORT FORM VIDEO CAN ELEVATE YOUR BUSINESS
May 13, 12:30
“Wondering how to use TikTok or other short-form videos for your business? How to get clients from these platforms? Or even what short-form video is? In this discussion, Emma will show us how she gets clients using these platforms, how to utilize TikTok + other short-form platforms along with actionable ways to use the work you are already doing on these platforms.”
June 2, 6pm
First Wednesday keeps going strong. We have dozens of people RSVPing for this fun NYC tradition led by Zack Rosenberg.
SALES AND SCALE LIVE
Via Mike Volkin in the community
“This event has been created for one thing only: to help you scale your business now. That’s why I’m bringing in some of the top business people from around the world. People who have taken companies from $1 million dollar valuations to $500 million dollar valuations and taken companies public.”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Here are some great opportunities shared there or sent to me directly.
NYC (remote for now)
“As we scale and continue to build a world-class product, we’re looking for strategic partners who can accelerate our growth and enhance our product and data offerings. In this role, you will be responsible for identifying and executing on our partnership strategy, and you will be measured on the impact of these partnerships and our broader partner ecosystem on Suzy’s business.”
Chicago – remote
Via Chris Gorges in the community
“Catch Co. is looking for a hungry and capable Marketing Manager to spearhead a broad range of initiatives designed to take our marketing efforts to the next level. As we experience rapid growth and increased complexity as a company, we need to in-house critical functions (like SEO), implement more rigorous measurement and testing capabilities, continuously optimize our existing activities and more efficiently coordinate our efforts across channels / teams.”
“SellerCrowd is anonymous social network for advertising salespeople. We are looking for a content creator to join the Sellercrowd team to build a must-have daily newsletters for our community. Think MorningBrew or The Hustle for advertising sellers – focusing entirely on info/news to make salespeople more money.”
Demand Generation & Analytics Manager
Via Dori Fern in the community
“We are looking for a passionate, results-driven Demand Generation & Analytics Manager to join our Integrated Marketing team and support our highly successful marketing solutions business unit and its flagship brand, Neustar Fabrick™.”
Director Product Marketing
Via Yuval Yarden in the community
“This role will play a vital role in supporting our new product launches and deploy new messaging and packaging to support the commercial team. Reporting to the VP of Marketing, the role will be the lead on building marketing materials, sales enablement tools, competitor analysis and tactics to accelerate go-to-market initiatives.”
METHOD MEDIA INTELLIGENCE
Via Marc Goldberg in the community
“You will be responsible for developing and executing public relations and marketing tactics for our team that supports the business. You’ll bring existing and relevant industry experience and quickly build new relationships. We want your help with PR, managing social channels, helping with sales collateral and finding new customers via paid and earned channels.”
Via Sabrina Caluori in the community:
“I am acting as the Interim head of Strategy at a boutique digital and social agency, GLOW. We have incredible clients in the entertainment, retail and luxury space including nearly every major TV broadcaster. Looking for Brand Strategists, Social strategists, community managers and content creators at all levels. We are looking for both Freelance as well as Full Time at all levels. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Marketing Officer
“Equilibria (“EQ”) is a premium, high-growth, direct-to-consumer CBD platform for women.
An experienced, GM-level leader with proven mentorship and leadership acumen, the future Chief Marketing Officer has:
* 20+ years of experience leading marketing organizations, overseeing budget and performance for omni-channel marketing efforts
* Repeat experience with DTC brands and particularly in facilitating rapid growth from 2-digit millions in revenue to 3-digit millions
* Experience in a health/wellness/beauty “system” product; subscription marketing expertise required”
Head of Revenue Marketing
Chicago or remote
“A self-starter with the ability to build programs from scratch and who thrives when creating clarity and strategic direction for teams, the future Head of Revenue Marketing has:
* 8+ years of experience in demand gen or performance marketing, preferably at an agency, consultancy, or high-growth SaaS technology company and 4+ years of management experience
* Strong growth track record, with case studies of driving B2B programs with a focus on digital, ABM, and lead management
* Prior experience building a sizable owned audience, and creating programs to drive expansion within active customers.”
Commercial Marketing Manager
New York (temporarily remote)
“As an integral member of the global marketing team based in New York, you will be responsible for driving revenue through excellence in proposal storytelling, unique pitch experiences, and general best practices for the wider commercial teams. You will work in close partnership with the product, commercial, and partnerships teams and with the global marketing team to deliver compelling, differentiated, and bold pitch and proposal marketing efforts.”
Director, Product Marketing and Senior Manager, Product Marketing
Remote EDT or CDT
Via David Markowitz in the community:
“We’re a remote, growing Marketing team spanning US and Europe. Showpad is one of the leading sales enablement (SaaS) platform providers; we have a great collaborative environment and culture, with lots of Tier 1 clients (over 1,200+) and a strong leadership team.For these roles, I’m looking for individuals w/both a strong B2B content creation mindset as well as a strong product marketing focus. Partner marketing experience is key for that role. Due to the need for close collaboration with our EMEA teams, we’re focused on EDT/CDT locations.”
ART OF PROBLEM SOLVING
Digital Marketing Manager
Remote available in 12 states
Via Eric in the community:
“We are searching for an insatiably curious, creative, and data-driven ecommerce marketer with a strong PPC and paid social track record and strong marketing analytics chops to help drive K-12 student enrollment for our online math programs.”
SPROUT SOCIAL, INC.
Manager, Marketing Operations
Chicago or remote
Able to understand and use data from multiple sources to formulate reports and presentations that communicate marketing insights, the future Manager, Marketing Operations has:
* 5+ years overall marketing experience, 3+ years experience in marketing automation
* Salesforce proficiency required; Marketo preferred, open to Pardot or Hubspot experience as an alternative
* Experience coming from another B2B or B2B SaaS company
Head of Sales
“A natural leader and player coach who knows how to build and motivate a successful team, the future Head of Sales has:
* 8+ years direct sales experience, expertise in selling enterprise software
* Track record that exceeds sales quota (ideally $1MM+)
* Passion for value selling and easily and successfully builds deep and trusting relationships using a consultative approach
* Comfort with technology and demonstrating products directly with prospects
* Understanding of the concept of “tying the golden thread” and is a creative and out of the box thinker”
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Atlanta, Georgia or remote ET, CT
Via Shari in the community:
“Do you love telling stories to bring products to life for customers? Is your passion identifying and solving for customer problems? Do you love asking questions to dig deeper and learn more? Are you looking for an opportunity to grow a new product offering in a fast-paced environment?”
Other job resources:
- Advisable: Get instant access to top marketing freelancers
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- CareerList: Here’s a form for companies hiring and a form for job seekers; here’s the public list with tabs for both
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- GLG: Get paid to share your topical expertise; it can lead to some interesting conversations at a potentially decent hourly rate
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Hunterz: A way for connectors to get paid to introduce startups to large enterprises
- Lead5: A paid service for executive roles, plus intel on changes with companies and PE investments; you can try a risk-free weeklong trial to see if it’s any good for your needs
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Where you can hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Remotists: Remote startup jobs, chronicled weekly
- Sales Hustle Stack: Find platform-based gigs and other creative ways to earn some extra cash
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal Job Tracker: A free Chrome extension to manage and enhance your job search
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
- Wanted: Wanted helps top talent in tech and marketing find a job at your desired pay.
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
My Software Tutor
Get a 15% discount on live online classes that teach practical, functional, business-centric Microsoft Office software skills (Excel today, PowerPoint coming soon). Use code SERIAL15 to redeem. Premium members get a 25% discount.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).
Get lifetime access to this file management tech with three seats, all free. (Premium members get five seats; see the Slack channel for details and a custom link.)