UPDATE: After reading the post below, you can read more information and variations on the scam in this updated post.
UPDATE March 08: Thanks for the continued comments; while this hasn’t stopped the scammers (international scams are especially hard to rein in), everyone who has commented (even anonymously) has helped others. Clearly the Eric Rosenfeld alias is the popular one now for scammers to use, but that should change constantly.
Consider this post a public service. Two people who I know well were getting close to caught up in a real estate scam on Craigslist, and in the extended entries I’m including the correspondence. Coincidentally, both people who were targeted knew each other and shared the emails with each other and noticed that some of the same wording was in each one, even though they were supposedly sent by different people. Here’s how the scam works:
- Someone posts a classified ad for a housing rental on Craigslist (the poster is the honest one here, the patsy). Both people I know who got sucked up posted in New York. It’s safe to say this can happen to someone posting in any city, on or off Craigslist, but based on the volume of posts, ease of posting, and diversity of people posting (from those who are struggling financially to the well-heeled who are using all channels available), it’s possible Craigslist is the target for the scam.
- The scam artist responds in poor English, reminiscent of the Nigerian 419 scams. He claims to be a doctor from the UK – Dennis Johnson and Sanjay Gupta were used in these cases, and if you Google the names, you’ll find that these are actual names of the UK doctors, so depending on your legal definition, it’s likely the scammers are taking part in some form of identity theft. Note the irony that a UK-based doctor who will be working in the US for awhile writes such horrific English. Dr. Johnson couldn’t even spell his own first name consistently, and he seems unsure whether he’s a doctor or a lawyer. (An aside: Johnson’s wife, Loveth Johnson, comes up in a Google search for Nigerian scams.)
- A bit of back and forth ensues where the scammer asks for details about the apartment and shares more about their plans overseas. Dr. J even mentions Merck CEO Raymond V.Gilmartin will arrange things on his behalf; now that’s one connected renter right there (forget that Gilmartin is actually the former CEO, one who ironically resigned when Congress started investigating the safety issues with Vioxx). While the Gilmartin mention only appeared in one letter of the two scams sent my way, consider the following excerpts from both of the solicitations:
- Dr. Dennis Johnson: "Due to the limited time that we have before our arrival,we are making
arrangements with a furniture company to supply the home with
furniture,so we will need you to provide us with the measurements of
the living room and bedroom so that we can send it to the furniture
company so that they can supply the unit with furniture that will fit
- Dr. Arun Gupta, PhD: "Due to the limited time that I have before my arrival, I’m making arrangements with a furniture company to supply the home with furniture, so I will need you to provide me with the measurements of the living room and bedroom so that I can send it to the furniture company so that they can supply the unit with furniture that will fit in well."
- Dr. Dennis Johnson: "Due to the limited time that we have before our arrival,we are making
- The scammer says he sent a check for a certain amount to cover the security deposit and a couple months rent, but he used the same check to pay the furniture company too. Yet, surprise, his contact there is going on vacation and needs your help, so you can just refund the difference from the check they’re sending you (don’t try too hard to do the math here). Also, don’t bother Googling company "Debbie Furnitures," as that doesn’t exist. He makes it sound so urgent that someone who totally falls for all of this might just send the check before getting the other. It’s possible he’ll send a check as well, and the recipient will send the refund back before the scammer’s check bounces.
That’s the gist. For the full post, read the extended entry. The main goal for me here is that these letters are included in search engines’ records so that when someone searches for anything remotely connected to these scams, the text will appear (if you’d care to reprint any of this or just link back here, feel free).
The email exchange of the scam is below, in reverse order. Note that personal details of the recipient are omitted.
Thanks for getting back to me,the check that was
sent to you was for the amount of $16,350 and was this is so is that
i asked my financier to include the costs of the furniture that i
am buying from a furniture company,why i asked her to do this is
because she told me that she will be going on her annual vacation
this week and so will not be around to help me to handle my
furniture concerns.I am buying furniture from a furniture
company(Debbie Furnitures) and they should have contacted you as
regards my order by now.We are begging you to please help us to
coordinate the payment and delivery of our furniture with the sales
manager of the company that is directly in charge of our order,you
should deduct the amount for the rent and security deposit which is
$12,000,the balance of $4,350 is the costs of my furniture and the
sales manager of the furniture company will contact you and provide
you with instructions on how to get the money to him.They will
embark on the delivery of our furniture on receipt of the
money,though they will be in contact with you to schedule a
delivery time and date that will be convenient for you to accept
the delivery.Please we do apologise for any inconvenience that this
arrangement may cause you,but we will will really appreciate it if
you can help us to settle our furniture concerns so that the
furniture will be delivered before our arrival in your place,and
this will make us to settle in comfortably when we arrive,you can
understand that transiting cross atlantic is not always easy.
Please do let me know if you have heard from
the sales manager of the furniture company and do let us know the
position of things with you as we are in the process of booking our
seats on a flight to the states.
Once again,we apologise for any stress this issue may
you,we are looking up to you to help us out.I will appreciate a
response from you on receipt of this email.
Thank you and God bless
CRAIGSLIST POSTER wrote:
My name is ——-. I am a [profession]. Our address is ——.
Phone is ——.
I will send you the pictures you asked for and the room
measurements later this evening. The bedroom will only need a bed. The closets and cabinets are all built in so that no other
furniture is needed. I think you will get a better idea from the
Thanks for your mail,i appreciate your wanting to help us in
our situation.I am a lawyer i am currently working with Woodstock Pharmacy 24
High St, Woodstock, OX20 1TF, United Kingdom. I will be in the states for the
next one year with my daughter and during my stay i will be working with
Raymond V.Gilmartin, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Merck
&Co "America’s Leadership in Pharmaceutical Research work.and he will
be handling the rent deposit payment on our behalf,we will instruct him to send
you the check for this as soon as you give us the go ahead to make payment to
you. Due to the limited time that we have before our arrival,we are
making arrangements with a furniture company to supply the home with
furniture,so we will need you to provide us with the measurements of the living
room and bedroom so that we can send it to the furniture company so that they
can supply the unit with furniture that will fit in well. As regards the
lease agreement,i want you to send it to me for my review,i will eventually
have it filled and signed on my arrival in your place as i am of the opinion
that such documents are best filled and signed physically.We can start the
lease by 10 of Dec and we will be doing a one year lease although we will
not be arriving until the End of Dec.You can prepare the lease in my my name
Dr.Dennis johnson and my wife’s name Mrs.Loveth
Johnson. Let us know how to move aheadas we intend to complete this deal
before we move in ,we will let you know the exact date as soon as we get a
booking on a flight to the states.
I would be needing your contacts details where the payment would be mailed out
to in this form such as the Fullname,Address,City,State
We hope to hear from you soon and We look forward to meeting you soon
Dr .Denni Johnson of Woodstock Pharmacy 24 High St, Woodstock, OX20 1TF, United
[CRAIGSLIST POSTER] wrote:
Dear Dr. Johnson,
Yes I am the owner of the house for rent. It is still
available. The rental is $$$.00 per month; the security is $$$00.
The utilities include electricity and gas which come to about $$$0.00 per
month. Water bills average about $$00-$00 per month. We have Oil
heat which averages $$00 per month for the entire year. The house is
available as of January 1, 2008.
Where are you so that I can speak to you on the phone at an
appropriate time. You can call me anytime you wish at our home tel # [———].
I will send you pictures of the rooms a little later this
evening. If you are still interested, I will be happy to send you a
CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY — AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals,
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow,
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org
I come across your apartment
advertised on the internet and i am interested in renting it,please let me know
if it is still available.I will be signing one year lease for this unit and
will be staying with my wife and daughter, and will be willing to offer you 2
months rent plus the security deposit in order to secure this unit prior to our
arrival. Could you be kind enough to let me know what the electricity/utility
cost would be ?as i will really need to have this unit to myself. You can send
me the lease application , to enable be review it ahead of time.i would
eventually have it signed physically when i arrive.In my opinion, appending
signatories should be done properly and at best physically.Please , send me a
picture view of the living room and bed rooms.
I will like you to send me pictures of the living rooms and
bedrooms of the apartment,so that I can see what it looks like since I
wont be able to see the apartment before my arrival and I will like to
know how much it will cost for the monthly,
utilies bills such,
per month rent cost
Security deposit cost
gas billmeasurements of the rooms
i needed to know if you really the owner of the apartment ,
This is an international situation .With this arrangement,
my financier in the states,will be
effecting your payment deposit to you.I believe we can work together and ensure
every arrangements that we shall both execute in line with my taking up the
tenancy should be done accordingly to ensure we have a proper understanding. In
view of my work schedule, i would want us to finalise basic arrangements. I
will arrive to the states by 30th of December with my wife and
daughter.If you require any specific information, pls let me know or you can
call me on my cell phone +44 703 191 0267,please dial as presented for
international calls .
I will really appreciate a quick response to my