By word count, this will be one of my shorter columns.
That’s because I’ve wanted to write about shortcuts for some time.
First though, I would like to officially concede in the race for mayor of New York City. I wish the future Mayor Adams, Wiley, or Garcia best of luck in the city’s second-most-stressful job (the first, of course, is Jacob deGrom’s doctor).
On to this week’s edition…
One of my favorite time-saving tricks is using text replacement shortcuts on iOS and the PC. It’s built into iOS (Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement). For Windows, I wish it was built in, but I use TextExpander, a paid service.
A challenge of maintaining both is that I have to duplicate effort to be efficient, and I have to make sure the same shortcuts work across devices.
Usually, it’s worth it.
In case you haven’t done this much and want to give it a try, here are a handful of shortcuts I use and the words they replace. Note that most start with some kind of special character that is still relatively quick to access.
;db: my full name
##: my phone number
@@: my Gmail address
d@s: my david@serialmarketer email address.
;159: it’s the start of my street address, so this makes it appear in full
;bio: my longest block of text saved as a shortcut, this includes my 100-word bio
;hyd: How are you doing?
;hhl: “Hold your horses, Leo”; it comes in handy more often than you might think
;cal: goes to my Calendly page (I use this shortcut more than almost any other)
;15m, ;30m, ;60m: my 15-minute, 30-minute, and 60-minute Calendly links (but I always just send people to the generic one and let them decide for themselves)
;zoom: goes to my Zoom room (and no, I don’t need to share that one widely)
;guests: a private Google doc that I use for booking speakers
One of the most practical uses for shortcuts is to make it faster to enter and share website URLs. Some examples:
;sms: community – https://www.serialmarketers.
;se: my main site – http://www.serialmarketer.net
;sub: subscribe to the newsletter – https://serialmarketer.net/
;ev: event listings – https://serialmarketers.net/
;fav: recommendations for marketers – https://www.marketerfaves.com
;help: my spreadsheet of resources – http://bit.ly/howdavidcanhelp
;faq: my community FAQ page – https://www.notion.so/Serial-
;cmo: $CMO coin – https://rally.io/creator/CMO/
;lc: my customized referral URL to Lunchclub (I had totally forgotten I created this shortcut) –
Short (sort of) and sweet (sort of). Have your own favorite time-saving tips? Send them my way. I’ll send my thanks and 10 $CMO coins to any I use (with attribution) in a future edition.
P.S.: Join us today, 5pm ET for our Marketing Pride event with Sabrina Caluori, Martin Obiozor, and Mat Zucker! (Zoom link)
- Nassib Fiirst Active NFL Player To Come Out As Gay by Paul Gutierrez
- Black Campus Police Officers Say They Suffered Unbearable Racism by Mike Baker
- Are Giraffes Endangered by Danielle Zeitlen Hughes
- Tom Herman Interview on Gamification and NFTs For Climate Change by B.L. Ochman
- Best Practices For Authors To Land Speaking Engagements by Steve Markman
- Trust Web Times Interview Series: David Berkowitz, Serial Marketersby Marc Goldberg
HOW TO SHARE
Thanks to Mat Zucker, Nancy Harhut, E.B. Moss, Praveen Mishra, Amy Gittelman, Matthew Silverman, Jeremy Woolf, and Jason Gardner for spreading the word about the newsletter recently.
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards. Even one referral will net you a coin (try it out).
Here’s your own personalized link, with more referral rewards for sharing the newsletter. Visit https://
Share via: Email | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn——————————
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
Upcoming Serial Marketers events:
Starting this week, Salons are back to their full 1-hour format. All events are on Wednesdays at 5 pm ET. First Wednesdays of the month are in person. Starting from 7/28, last Wednesdays will be Upstream SpeedUps.
- 6/23: Marketing Pride with Sabrina Caluori, Martin Obiozor, and Mat Zucker [ZOOM]
- 6/30: Marketing and PR Strategy: The How and Why of Landing Unpaid Speaking Opportunities with Steve Markman [ZOOM]
- 7/7: First Wednesday – in-person social chat in NYC
- 7/14: Salon with Chris Fronda, founder, Logictry [ZOOM]
- 7/21: Top DIY PR Tips to Get Noticed with Sandy Sloane [ZOOM]
- 7/28: UPSTREAM MIXER
“Join 50 of the world’s best digital marketers for a five-day virtual summit as they reveal their biggest secrets to scaling their game-changing businesses—and learn exactly how you can do it, too.”
EXPERT STRATEGIES FOR HIRING IN THIS MARKET
June 23, 12 pm
Via Vishal Sapra in the community
“If you’re interested in the labor market and trying to understand how we have historically high unemployment AND a massive labor shortage at the same time, this will be a great webinar with my CEO and Apollo’s Chief Economist.Join Irina
ADVANCED EMAIL MARKETING SUMMIT (DAY 2)
June 23, 1 pm
Via Randy Levy in the community
To succeed in today’s privacy-first environment, you need a sophisticated email marketing strategy that’s supported with the right martech stack. In this summit, you’ll hear from CRM, email, and technology experts to help you build a winning email marketing strategy that’s created around your first-party data.
June 24, 1 pm
Via Virginie Glaenzer in the community
“Discover the new framework Emerging Co-Creation to lead yourself and others in a totally new approach. A workshop designed for and by facilitators and change agents.
Limited space for maximum practice and interactions with other participants. When we expand our ability to collaborate and lead others through emerging co-creation, we tap into our curiosity, learning the art of improvisation.”
SEO SUMMER CAMP
June 24 – September 1
Via Nancy Ruzow in the community:
“Code: RCFF – 20% off! Ruzow Graphics gives all commission earned to our scholarship fund. A 100-day virtual, asynchronous experience for small business owners to improve their digital marketing. You can learn SEO + content marketing skills, find practical tactics to become less dependent on social media, and meet other campers with similar goals and interests.”
DMCNY PRESIDENT’S NETWORKING BREAKFAST
June 25, 8:30 am
“Join DMCNY president Ginger Conlon for the club’s first in-person event in 2021. This limited-seating networking breakfast is an opportunity for a select few to talk marketing trends and debate strategies face to face. The conversation is sure to be as satisfying as the sumptuous meal at one of NYC’s best breakfast venues: Pershing Square, located adjacent to Grand Central Terminal. Deadline: June 24th at Noon.”
“Ecom World is gathering the world’s most innovative founders, brightest minds and trailblazing DTC brands for two days of masterclasses and networking – all from the comfort of your home. Our speakers are masters of their craft and are handpicked to share their proven blueprints to success. Join them and 15,000+ attendees for 10+ tracks of in-depth speeches, panels, workshops & live Q&A sessions on 28-29th June.”
July 7, 5 pm
First Wednesday keeps going strong. We have dozens of people RSVPing for this fun NYC tradition led by Zack Rosenberg.
DIGIDAY PUBLISHER GOLF OUTING
Digiday’s first-ever publisher golf outing will bring together publishing executives for a unique day of golf and mingling. Hosted at the beautiful Galloping Hill Golf Course, you’ll have the chance to connect with peers over a casual round of golf and networking functions.
SALES AND SCALE LIVE
Via Mike Volkin in the community
“This event has been created for one thing only: to help you scale your business now. That’s why I’m bringing in some of the top business people from around the world. People who have taken companies from $1 million dollar valuations to $500 million dollar valuations and taken companies public.”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Here are some great opportunities shared there or sent to me directly.
Head of Customer and Partner Marketing
“Bbot is a rapidly growing startup that makes contactless ordering technology for bars, restaurants, hotels, and other hospitality establishments. This position is full-time and is remote work from home.”
Influencer Marketing Manager,
Influencer Marketing Strategist,
Long Island City, New York, remote options
“We are Performance Branding experts, working with scalable and enterprise brands including Nike, Spanx, and Shake Shack. We leverage digital channels and creative to grow our clients. Data drives our decision making and enables us to operate like trusted business partners. WITHIN works with brands to collapse the funnel between performance and brand marketing unifying objectives, targets, strategy, and implementation.”
Director of Marketing
Via Dwight Griesman in the community
“The Director of Marketing at Severalnines will be expected to craft and execute strategies that drive traffic of high-quality leads to our website to contribute to the growth of our community user and customer base. The Director will also develop the strategy to craft content that both acquires, converts, and educates our current and potential customers before, during, and after the sales process.”
Client Solutions Manager
Via Shawn Kallet in the community
“We are looking for a highly skilled and driven individual to build and manage relationships with clients – both supply (content creators and studios, for example) and demand (brands and media agencies amongst others). The Manager, Client Solutions will tailor campaigns for Mirriad’s clients in the US market, partnering with Content Creators, Sports Leagues, , Advertisers and Agencies to develop in-video advertising solutions that drive new revenue.”
POWER DIGITAL MARKETING
Various agency roles
Via Rachel Hirshl in the community
A ton of jobs and new hires needed for my agency Power Digital Marketing. 5 year winner of INC best places to work! Amazing shop, clients & leadership. If you are in paid social, paid media, Amazon or content dev, check us out and DM me your resume!
Marketing Director / Manager
Via Alyssa Petersel in the community
“We are seeking a Director of Marketing to help revolutionize how health care is delivered to millions of seniors across America. As the lead of our marketing efforts, you will work with the CEO to develop and execute go-to-market strategies, partner with the sales team to target C-Suite executives, and collaborate with Customer Success to brand the experience of clinicians, patients and family members.”
Audience Development Associate
Via Don Steele in the community:
“G/O Media is looking for an Audience Development Associate to join the Audience Development team in our New York office. The position, reporting to the Head of Audience Development, will work with multiple stakeholders across the company with the goal of driving growth and engagement for G/O Media brands. “
Director of Growth Marketing
Dallas, TX, Open to remote
“Entrepreneurial and driven growth marketing professional with strong communication skills, the future Director of Growth Marketing has:
* 6-8+ years of experience in growth marketing driving both new and existing customers online & offline
* DTC Retail, Ecommerce industry experience (ideally apparel or beauty)
* Collaborated closely with agencies to develop, validate, test and refine customer acquisition and retention strategy utilizing A/B testing and data analysis to optimize each stage of customer journey touchpoints across platforms to drive growth.”
Demand Marketing Manager
Product Marketing Manager
San Fransisco, CA, Open to remote
“CaptivateIQ is on a journey to modernize the world of incentive compensation. Our hope is that people will feel more connected at work if there is greater transparency in how they are rewarded for their efforts. We partner with amazing companies like Carta, Intercom, Gong, and Newfront Insurance to simplify their commissions. Since launching in 2017, we have raised $63M and are backed by leading investors including Sequoia Capital, Accel, S28 Capital, Amity Ventures, and Y Combinator.”
Senior Director of Product Marketing
San Francisco, CA
“A tactile marketer with experience creating product marketing content and tools including website pages, use-cases, product sheets, etc., the future Senior Director of Product Marketing has:
* 6-10 years of experience in a product marketing function in the B2B Enterprise SaaS industry
* Hyper-growth startup background with experience in GTM strategy and leading / hiring successful product marketing teams
* Proven success building the content marketing strategy to build the lead funnel
* Experience working with sales enablement to ensure internal and external stakeholder success
More via Hunt Club
* Stealth Mode Marketing Agency: Head of Brand Strategy/Founding Partner (United States)
Other job resources:
- Advisable: Get instant access to top marketing freelancers
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- CareerList: Here’s a form for companies hiring and a form for job seekers; here’s the public list with tabs for both
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- GLG: Get paid to share your topical expertise; it can lead to some interesting conversations at a potentially decent hourly rate
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Hunterz: A way for connectors to get paid to introduce startups to large enterprises
- Lead5: A paid service for executive roles, plus intel on changes with companies and PE investments; you can try a risk-free weeklong trial to see if it’s any good for your needs
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Where you can hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Questions to Ask for a Marketing Role: What questions should you ask when starting a new marketing role or job?
- Remotists: Remote startup jobs, chronicled weekly
- Sales Hustle Stack: Find platform-based gigs and other creative ways to earn some extra cash
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal Job Tracker: A free Chrome extension to manage and enhance your job search
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
- Wanted: Wanted helps top talent in tech and marketing find a job at your desired pay.
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
Markman Speaker Management: Get 15% off the half-day customized virtual training session “Get Speaking Engagements” for individuals or corporate staff through Sept. 30, 2021. Contact Steve Markman to redeem.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
Get 5% back on any bookings of the Focus, Growth, and ReFocus plan. To receive your rebate, please contact me after you book the course.
My Software Tutor
Get a 15% discount on live online classes that teach practical, functional, business-centric Microsoft Office software skills (Excel today, PowerPoint coming soon). Use code SERIAL15 to redeem. Premium members get a 25% discount.
Get 10% discounts on campaigns. ReverseAds reverses the search ad process, outperforming Google at a fraction of the cost. To redeem, contact Thom Feltz by email.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).
Get lifetime access to this file management tech with three seats, all free. (Premium members get five seats; see the Slack channel for details and a custom link.)