“Are we there yet?”
Traveling through the South with my seven-year-old daughter this summer, she didn’t ask the question that often.
Sure, she’s a patient kid, but she’s also quick to appreciate how much our adventures were about the journey and not the destination.
I wrote about some of the destination highlights last week, but as someone who values the learning process, I wanted to share a few thoughts about the journey.
Since my daughter was born, I’ve kept a journal about her, and it goes on for several hundred pages. I slack off writing in it at times, but I’ve always loved keeping travel journals, so I write far more when we’re on the road.
There’s an excerpt that I doubt my daughter will mind me sharing. It comes at a point in the journal where I write about a last-minute itinerary change to visit the Crater of Diamonds State Park in southwest Arkansas, a good 300 miles and 6 hours of driving on top of an already ambitiously packed trip. The park has a volcanic crater that’s one of the only spots in the world where anyone can dig for diamonds and other gems.
Here’s what I wrote in the journal:
That’s also one of the amazing things about this trip and how we travel. We traveled hundreds of miles to go to this part of the state that I knew absolutely nothing about. We stayed in some cheap motel, albeit in the nicest room they had (still running us less than $100). We had mediocre pizza for dinner. We had to drive longer than I probably ever had to before. We bought tickets to do this activity and paid extra for supplies. We barely lasted 60 seconds in the sun digging there. We loved every second of it, and then we built so much more on top of it.
Everything that could have been a disaster wound up adding to what made it memorable. It was the highlight of her trip, thanks in part to us discovering the nearby Ka-Do-Ha Indian Village* where you can dig for gems in a shadier setting and see some skeletons lying in open burial mounds.
As for the cheap motel, the Southern Belle Inn, it was a funny experience staying there and then the next night crashing at what many consider the fanciest hotel in Little Rock. I wound up giving the Southern Belle a better review on Google Maps, which seems absurd on the surface.
As luxurious as the hotel felt, the window shades didn’t block out the sun like they did in the motel, the motel’s water pressure was like a Swedish massage compared to the hotel where it was a gentle backrub, and the motel had a bonus amenity of providing a fridge in the room. Sure, the hotel’s moisturizer smelled better, but the motel managed to be a more comfortable place to stay.
As for my daughter, she liked having more space to run around in the cheaper room. If the two spots were right next to each other on the same block, she’d pick the motel every time, and I probably would too (though it was damn good moisturizer).
That trip was a memorable one for all kinds of reasons, including emotional factors like the changing nature of our family dynamic that led to this longest trip I’ve had just with my daughter. The lyrics to “Graceland” cut deep listening to them in the rental car with her, as she’s just two years younger than Paul Simon’s son in that song.
But the trip embodied much more for me, and it made me appreciate my own approach to my work which is fueled by what you can learn along the way.
This week, for example, I minted a series of NFTs (non-fungible tokens) with vintage Serial Marketers logos.
I don’t expect to get rich off of these, and I priced these at $10. Since they’re sold through Rally, if you’ve ever joined a $CMO coin drop or picked up such a coin for a few bucks, you can essentially get it for nothing. The idea is that anyone who wants to learn about NFTs can see how you can buy them, gift them, and maybe sell them.
I’d love to come up with some more ideas for what do with them, so let me know if you have any. The point is to learn how they work and to show others how they work.
Let’s learn together and figure this out. Let’s come up with better use cases for them. Let’s have the most fun not being experts but being eager amateurs ready to get in over our heads.
Let’s admit that we have no clue where this is going, and that’s why we’re going to have even more fun heading down the road.
The destination may bring inedible pizza, scorching sun, and hours of driving just to step in a volcano’s footprint where we don’t dig up any gems. We might come face to face with dead bodies, and the closest we come to finding religion is a sign hanging over the toilet.
All of that could happen, and there’s so much more we can’t predict.
But oh, what a journey it’ll be.
*This is the proper name of the location. Given that the restaurant in town where we ate lunch had bible quotes hanging over the toilets (yes, I took photos), I was probably one of the only people around there who cared.
- Join our Upstream event today at 12pm ET to meet Lara Vandenberg, CEO and founder of Publicist. Publicist is an online platform that connects a global network of communications, marketing, and PR talent with top brands through project-based work. The Publicist community is highly vetted and spans all levels of experience. Lara will share why she built the platform, how it fits in with the changing workforce trends, and how talent can stand out when pitching brands. Also stay for the speed networking session to make 1:1 connections with other industry pros!
- Serial Marketers offers a 20% discount for Thomas Kolster’s Masterclass on building a meaningful brand. Use code “SERIAL” at checkout. You can learn:
- How to avoid purpose-washing and find your organization’s true relevance,
- How to play a more meaningful and authentic role in people’s lives,
- How to create behavior change at scale and ultimately unlock sales.
SERIAL MARKETER RECOMMENDS
Hunt Club is a candidate referral platform that is shaking up the traditional recruiting industry. By joining Hunt Club’s Expert Network you can connect your colleagues (or yourself) with incredible opportunities for their next career move AND get rewarded for it. Join the Hunt Club Expert Network here; you simply sign up and upload your connections! (Don’t worry, Hunt Club won’t reach out to your network without your approval.)
Once you join, you’ll have access to a dashboard where you can view all opportunities the Hunt Club team is working on, refer candidates, share roles with your network, or sit back and we’ll reach out and request an introduction if we think someone in your network is a fit.
Please reach out to Maddy at Hunt Club (email@example.com) with any questions or to learn more about the Expert Network.
- How to Intervene When a Manager Is Gaslighting Their Employees by Mita Mallick
- Five Networking Tips To Embrace The Awkward And Connect With Ease by Madeline Schwarz
- Why Is Everything More Expensive Right Now? Let This Stuffed Giraffe Explain by Alana Semuels
- UCLA Sub Clark to Have His Own Cryptocurrency by Myron Medcalf
- Website Foundation resource by Michelle Hsu
HOW TO SHARE
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards. Even one referral will net you a coin (try it out).
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
Upcoming Serial Marketers events:
- 9/23: Connecting Marketing Talent with Brands with Publicist CEO Lara Vandenberg (12pm)
- 9/30: Crypto Tax AMA with Forensic CPA Stanley Foodman (5pm)
UPSTREAM SPEEDUP WITH LARA VANDENBERG
September 23, 12pm
Meet Lara Vandenberg, CEO and founder of Publicist. Publicist is an online platform that connects a global network of communications, marketing, and PR talent with top brands through project-based work.
The Publicist community is highly vetted and spans all levels of experience. Over the past year, Publicist has built an incredible team, brought on investors and advisors, all while seeing the vision of democratizing access to the best marketing and communications talent in the world come to life.
She’ll share why she built the platform, how it fits in with the changing workforce trends, and how talent can stand out when pitching brands.
MARTECH SERIES LAUNCH PARTY
September 23, 12:30pm
Via Peter Davison in the community
“Launching the “Simplicity in Martech” series and putting this out into the world via the team at Boost Design UK. Alex Diaz is a senior product marketing manager at Webflow. For those based in the UK – we have a virtual mixology event with 137Gin. Some proceeds will go toward Surfers Against Sewage.
LINKEDIN LOCAL LONG ISLAND – VIRTUAL PROGRAM
Via Danielle Hughes and Beth Granger in the community
September 23, 5pm
“LinkedIn Local is back, and this one will be very special! Sign up now to join us virtually:
* Participate in guided networking – Meet new people and reconnect with those you know.
* Develop a more powerful LinkedIn headline – Danielle Hughes and Beth Granger will take you through a process so that you leave with a new headline and an understanding of how it can be so much more than just a job title.
* Unite as a group during an interactive music-fueled songwriting session led by Song Division, world-class musicians who have worked with international stars like Prince, Cher, Drake, Katy Perry, and more.
Your admission will be used to support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Light the Night campaign.”
SAASTR ANNUAL 2021
SF Bay Area
“Join 5,000 Cloud and SaaS Founders, VC and Execs. In-person, once again! In the SF Bay Area. The 7th SaaStr Annual: 3 full days, 100’s of workshops, and 1000s of Mentoring sessions— all to help you scale faster.”
GET FOUND BY YOUR IDEAL CLIENTS IN GOOGLE WITH SEO
September 28, 11:30am
Via Nancy Ruzow in the community
In this Fly Female Founders ON THE FLY Workshop, SEO specialist and digital strategist Meg Casebolt will cover:
* Understanding the way your clients search, and creating content that meets their needs.
* Building your domain authority with outreach opportunities.
* Making your website a great user experience so Google will recommend you and readers will convert to leads.
UPSTREAM SPEEDUP WITH STANLEY FOODMAN
September 30, 5pm
Forensic accountant Stanley Foodman, CEO of Foodman CPAs & Advisors, understands crypto inside and out. Beyond complex domestic and international tax planning, he’s also a partner in a crypto company. Ask Stanley anything as we try to understand how cryptocurrency and NFT purchases affect our bottom line.
PROPELIFY INNOVATION FESTIVAL
October 6, 9am
Maxwell Place Park | Hoboken, NJ
“Propelify is an annual innovation event that welcomes thousands of attendees for talks, tech, startups, exhibitors, interactive experiences, and more. The 2021 experience will be full of excitement and impact for speakers, sponsors, and attendees.”
AUDIO INNOVATION FORUM
October 6, 12pm
“Voice AI Marketing specialist Instreamatic and personalization expert A Million Ads are running an exclusive Audio Innovation Forum! This online event will feature a range of case studies and brand new consumer research as well as vivid discussions about the latest innovation in audio advertising and how to drive better engagement and results for brands and advertisers!”
Submit projects by October 8
“Get the recognition you deserve with our friends at BOLD Awards! 20 Categories, 20 Judges, submissions from 50+ countries, and counting! BOLD Awards is looking for the BOLDest companies and individuals powering breakthroughs in digital industries – from mobility, cybersecurity, AI, agritech & more.”
STRATEGIC MARKETING 2021 VIRTUAL EVENT
“Reuters Events: Strategic Marketing 2021 brings together the world’s most influential CMOs and marketing leaders to discuss the impact of brands on society, leverage new digital touchpoints, and unleash the opportunities that come with this shift in consumer-brand relationships.”
COIN NATIONS – VIRTUAL GLOBAL SUMMIT 2021
“Coin Nations 2021 brings together executives, investors, entrepreneurs, and professionals in decentralized finance.
You will participate in Matchmaking networking and interactive discussions about the latest innovations, opportunities, and challenges surrounding Crypto, Blockchain, CBDCs, DeFi, NFTs, Wallets, Exchanges, and more!”
CREATING YOUR FIRST CONVERSATIONAL AD
October 20, 1pm
Via Melissa in the community:
“Join us for a brief discussion on display advertising and how conversational ads are changing the game, followed by:
– seeing a few real-life examples of conversational ads we’ve built for our customers
– creating your first ad in only 15 minutes (setting up the ad units, building the logic, and more)
– understanding what data and insights you can gain.”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Better yet, subscribe to get updates from our job listing board. Here are some great opportunities shared in these places or sent to me directly.
Lifecycle Marketing Account Manager
NY, Remote OK
“The WITHIN team is growing and we’re looking for a passionate, motivated Lifecycle Account Manager who is willing to take the lead across multiple retention channels such as email, sms, push, app, and more. This is a unique opportunity in a rapidly expanding company.”
Head of Marketing
“We’re looking for our first marketing hire, a Head of Marketing that will create and lead this function. This is a high-impact leadership role where you will report directly to the CEO and own PopSQL’s holistic marketing initiatives and growth targets. A proven track record of marketing results within SaaS is highly desirable.”
“The ideal candidate will possess strong sales, interpersonal and organizational skills. They should be comfortable with multitasking and be able to budget their resources in order to meet the assigned quotas for their role.
* Full-cycle sales (cold outbound, set appointments, hold meetings, and close)
* Achieve sales objectives
* Attract high-quality customers and set proper expectations
* Follow sales ops processes
* Act as a brand ambassador
Director of Marketing
“Entrepreneurial, leads with integrity and confidence, the future Director of Marketing has:
* 6+ years experience in performance marketing touching SEO, paid search, paid social, display, product orientation, programmatic
* B2B SMB / Mid Market SaaS strongly preferred, open to high growth B2C internet orgs
* Strategic Executor – 2+ years of people management experience overseeing SEO and paid media teams, can hire, lead, and manage individual contributors to be more cohesive
* Ability to own critical top of funnel metrics (strongly focused on traffic and lead volume) and strategize with the team on how to execute”
BILL AND MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION
Seattle Metro Area
“The speechwriter will be a key member of the Global Communications team within the Communications Division. This role will report to (and work closely with) the Deputy Director for the Foundation Voice team and will be responsible for all aspects of crafting high-quality speeches and other written content in support of the foundation’s communications goals.”
Director of Marketing
“We are in search of a seasoned crypto Marketing Director across the globe to lead marketing initiatives for an audience of sports enthusiasts who also love crypto, NFTs, blockchain, fintech, and DeFi.”
Associate Director, Paid Search/SEM (Remote)
+ many search, ads, media & analytics roles
“We are looking for an Associate Director, Paid Search/SEM to be responsible for creating, executing, and optimizing Paid Search media campaigns. You will be instrumental in ensuring efficient campaigns and will contribute to meeting and exceeding KPIs. This is a fully remote, full-time (40 hours per week) role. PST or MST is preferred.”
(Send an intro request with what you’re interested in and why to CEO Brian Dolan)
Sr. Category Manager, Japanese Wagyu
“As Crowd Cow grows rapidly, we are seeking an experienced category leader who can combine strong business acumen with product and operational experience to drive growth profitably at scale. This is a unique opportunity to lead and scale a high-profile category and fully own end-to-end strategy at Crowd Cow, the leading online retailer of Japanese Wagyu in the US.”
Remote US within the Pacific time zone
“The Marketing Director will be responsible for creating and executing a comprehensive, multi-channel marketing plan to accelerate the growth of Candidate. This role will be a pivotal leadership role at the organization and require you to dig in at both the strategic and tactical levels. You will have management responsibilities across a variety of marketing efforts including brand positioning and awareness, product marketing, paid media, email marketing, website, social media, PR, and sales enablement.”
Customer Support Associate
SF, NY, or remote
Via Mark Verone in the community
TuneIn currently serves over one hundred million listening sessions every month. Our Customer Support Associate will be the front line of support for our millions of listeners, troubleshooting their technical issues across a variety of platforms, audio devices, and streams. You’ll be instrumental in identifying problematic trends and making recommendations to the entire company including product managers and engineers to improve users’ experience.
Director of Growth Marketing
New York, NY
Via Chris Gorges in the community
“We are seeking a Director of Growth Marketing to lead our acquisition strategy across online and offline growth channels. This role will be responsible for allocating and deploying a large media budget and managing a growth marketing team that plans, executes, and analyzes acquisition tactics that drive sustainable and efficient CAC at scale.”
Via Mark Verone in the community
“As a Campaign Manager, you would play a critical part in assisting TuneIn’s multiple sales channels in working with both TuneIn’s internal Trafficking Team and with external clients to ensure all digital, custom content, and audio campaigns are meeting and fulfilling their expected goals. You would be responsible for overseeing the performance of these campaigns while also supporting sales and clients in managing project execution and campaign reporting throughout the post-sales process.”
Director of Product Marketing
San Francisco Bay, California
“Transparent, cross-functional leader with passion for growth, the future Director of Product Marketing has:
* ~10 years of product marketing within a B2B SaaS business (startup/high growth company preferred), built/managed the product marketing function
* 3-4 years experience managing and/or hiring a product marketing team of +3
* Managed market research, competitive intelligence, and experience taking a company through a rebrand
* Collaborative, curious, and ability to communicate effectively cross-functionally
* Compatible with CaptivateIQ culture (transparent, passion for building and growing the company, biased for action and innovative)”
Product Marketing Manager
Via George Valdes in the community
“We’re looking for a Product Marketing Manager to join the Monograph team. You’ll help build the future of how landscape architects, interior designers, and engineers, manage their business. Oh, and we work a 4-day work week.”
Marketing Manager, Enterprise SaaS
Via Eric Tash in the community
“You’ll set the marketing strategy and co-own revenue goals with sales and product leaders as part of an integrated go-to-market team. You’ll work closely with the product team, as well as the digital marketing and communication specialists to plan and execute product launches and marketing campaigns to meet or exceed the sales pipeline goals. Excellent opportunity to grow to Marketing Director position with a fast-growing startup.”
Demand Generation Manager
Product Marketing Manager
Via Chris Kuehn in the community
“Negotiatus is the fastest and easiest way to purchase, manage spend, and submit payment across all of a business’ vendors. Our platform oversees tens of thousands of orders per month, many millions in spend, and thousands of users. We’ve grown quickly since our founding in 2016 with the help of great investors and customers and are looking to continue that trajectory over the next few years.”
Find more jobs on the Serial Marketers job board.
Other job resources:
- Advisable: Get instant access to top marketing freelancers
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Braintrust: A new freelance platform where you are the owner and where freelance talent keeps 100% of the bill rate.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- CareerList: Here’s a form for companies hiring and a form for job seekers; here’s the public list with tabs for both
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- DiscoverTheTalent: An initiative designed to build partnerships with businesses to advocate, train, and hire military spouses
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Ex-Equinox Media Talent: A spreadsheet of available talent (permission given by those listed) who are recent ex-Equinox media folks.
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- GLG: Get paid to share your topical expertise; it can lead to some interesting conversations at a potentially decent hourly rate
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Hunterz: A way for connectors to get paid to introduce startups to large enterprises
- Lead5: A paid service for executive roles, plus intel on changes with companies and PE investments; you can try a risk-free weeklong trial to see if it’s any good for your needs
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Where you can hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Questions to Ask for a Marketing Role: What questions should you ask when starting a new marketing role or job?
- Remotists: Remote startup jobs, chronicled weekly
- Sales Hustle Stack: Find platform-based gigs and other creative ways to earn some extra cash
- Serial Marketers Job Board: Post regular and featured listings and subscribe for updates.
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal: One place to organize and manage your job search.
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
- Wanted: Wanted helps top talent in tech and marketing find a job at your desired pay.
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
GPO: Generate at least 20% more organic traffic. Doing a strong job in SEO but wonder if more traffic can be had? GPO will custom-build an AWS instance that will become a subdomain of your site, and generate at least 20% more traffic the first year. Contact Cory Cox in the community to redeem.
Markman Speaker Management: Get 15% off the half-day customized virtual training session “Get Speaking Engagements” for individuals or corporate staff through Sept. 30, 2021. Contact Steve Markman to redeem.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
My Software Tutor
Get a 15% discount on live online classes that teach practical, functional, business-centric Microsoft Office software skills (Excel today, PowerPoint coming soon). Use code SERIAL15 to redeem. Premium members get a 25% discount.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.