Happy New Year, or Happy Back-to-Schoolyear, or Happy Unofficial Start of Fall or Spring (depending on your hemisphere).
Millions of people around the world this year are celebrating the start of a new year this week. It also comes after hundreds of millions of Americans acknowledge an unofficial end of summer, and this coincides with the beginning of a new school year.
During a year where the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, started the night of Labor Day just as Facebook is brightened by millions of First Day of School photos, it’s a salient time for reflection. The Jewish calendar recognizes four different new year holidays, and I like the idea that secular calendars could include new year events more than once every 365 days.
As someone who has given up trying to distinguish between the personal and professional,I also don’t readily distinguish between the spiritual and the secular. All these realms can learn from each other. It all intersects.
I think that was the moral of Loki too, but I digress.
Through the personal, professional, secular, and spiritual realms, I’m always learning, and I was fascinated to learn more about the tradition of the Rosh Hashanah festival meal (a “seder,” full of symbolism like the similarly named Passover meal, but far less involved in terms of ceremony and detail).
The meal features certain kinds of produce, and instead of benedictions over the fruit itself, they’re more about what we wish for the year ahead.
What would those look like for marketers? I pose some ideas below. They’re my hopes and prayers, and perhaps some of them will resonate with you too. This booklet from JCP inspired the text.
One notable difference: instead of wishing that these hopes are filled by a higher power, they’re all about what each of us can strive to achieve ourselves every day.
Apples and Honey
May it be our will that we find the sweetness and joy in all we do. May we plant seeds that flower for others. May we cross-pollinate the flowers we come across, leaving us all with more than what we started with. May we think about both the shorter-term needs for us to harvest immediately (the honey) and the harvests that will take decades to bear fruit (the apple trees).
May it be our will that hatred will end. May we cease support of all outlets preaching hatred and intolerance toward others. May we amplify voices preaching tolerance and inclusiveness. May we relish the taste of lifting up the sweetest voices among us as we cast aside bitterness.
May it be our will that our merits and sources of inspiration will increase. May we always seek out new sources of inspiration. May those sources be varied of so many shapes and colors and sizes.
May it be our will to push back on sources of fraud, misinformation, dishonesty, and obfuscation so that they may hastily retreat. Those sources leave stains on all who touch them.
May it be our will that we will cut off sources of fraud, misinformation, dishonesty, and obfuscation at their roots. And may we not leave behind any fallow soil for new such sources to grow.
Head of Lettuce, or Fish Head
May it be our will to be as the head and not as the tail. May we be leaders and not followers. May we have the wisdom to know one end from the other. And may we get our heads out of our own behinds.
May it be our will to perform good, honorable acts that multiply among our teams, our broader organizations, our partners and vendors, our customers and consumers, and our communities. May we not be able to count the number of such acts we perform or that others perform for us.
May it be our will to step back and breathe, and to accept that while all our actions can have a positive impact on those around us, most of the stress and pressure we put on ourselves and our teams is self-imposed. May we be able to give ourselves a moment to catch our breath and restore our energy.
May we have many opportunities to come together in the year ahead, virtually and hopefully in-person, to achieve our will together.
PS: Our good friend Leo Morejon is joining us as we reboot the Salon series. We’ll use Upstream to combine a Q&A with Leo about influencer marketing followed by some speed networking to match with others in the community. Leo leads social at Applegate and has worked on amazing campaigns for Oreo (yes, the Super Bowl tweet, but much more there), Hot Wheels, and tons of other brands. He also has a great mix of agency and SaaS experience, so ask him anything. RSVP here — it’s next Wed 9/15 at 4pm EST.
SERIAL MARKETER RECOMMENDS
Hunt Club is a candidate referral platform that is shaking up the traditional recruiting industry. By joining Hunt Club’s Expert Network you can connect your colleagues (or yourself) with incredible opportunities for their next career move AND get rewarded for it. Join the Hunt Club Expert Network here; you simply sign up and upload your connections! (Don’t worry, Hunt Club won’t reach out to your network without your approval.)
Once you join, you’ll have access to a dashboard where you can view all opportunities the Hunt Club team is working on, refer candidates, share roles with your network, or sit back and we’ll reach out and request an introduction if we think someone in your network is a fit.
Please reach out to Maddy at Hunt Club (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or to learn more about the Expert Network.
- 4 Questions to Make Your Creative Content More Effective by Zlata Faerman
- Why Your Career Is Your Biggest Opportunity to Make a Difference by 80,000 Hours
- Why People Are Still The Missing Piece Of The Sustainability Puzzle – And What Fashion Can Do About It by The Interline
- B2B SaaS Marketing Resources by Michelle Hsu
- How to Advance Your Career in the Virtual Workplace by Dan Schawbel
HOW TO SHARE
Thanks to Mat Zucker, Nancy Harhut, E.B. Moss, Praveen Mishra, Amy Gittelman, Matthew Silverman, Jeremy Woolf, and Jason Gardner for spreading the word about the newsletter recently.
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards. Even one referral will net you a coin (try it out).
Here’s your own personalized link, with more referral rewards for sharing the newsletter. Visit https://referralhub.
Share via: Email | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn——————————
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
Upcoming Serial Marketers events:
- 9/15: Upstream SpeedUp: Insider Influencer Intel with Applegate’s Leo Morejon (4pm)
ANA’S MARKETING GLOBAL TRAINING DAY
Via Larry Smith in the community
“The ANA, through the Global CMO Growth Council, is calling for an industry-wide collective pause on September 14, 2021. Let’s take this time to reboot with an infusion of the world’s best practices to help you and your teams refuel growth at full potential moving forward.”
EVOLVING E CONFERENCE
September 15, 11am
Via Robin Li in the community
“Evolving E is a eCommerce tech community that began in 2016 as a summit in New York for the top entrepreneurs and executives in the eCommerce, retail, and consumer goods sectors. The community has expanded to include online and offline dinner series, masterclasses, and gatherings with an eCommerce community from around the world.”
UPSTREAM SPEEDUP WITH LEO MOREJON
September 15, 4pm
Leo Morejon has been at the vanguard of social media marketing for 15 years, working with brands like Oreo, Coca-Cola, Hot Wheels, and Applegate. He’s been especially passionate about the role of collaborating with influencers. He will share what he thinks about the latest trends, strategies, tools, and platforms in this interactive conversation, and stick around to meet fellow Serial Marketers.
WIKIPEDIA FOR BRANDS (LIVE WEBINAR)
September 16, 1pm
Via Jenny Karn in the community
“Learn how Wikipedia works and how to update articles. We hear the following questions over and over again:
* How can I fix my brand’s Wikipedia article?
* How can I get an article created for my brand?
* How do I report wrong information?
* Can I edit my own page?
* How do I get a flag removed from the top of an article?
Our live webinars cover all these topics and many more! We host our chats on the fourth Thursday of the month.
New York Marriott Marquis and virtual
“Mainnet is an immersive, agenda-setting summit held annually in-person and virtually by Messari. The summit gathers crypto leaders, operators, builders, and investors for three days of future-focused collaboration, networking, and programming. With 150+ speakers and 2000+ pass holders, attendees should expect interactive discussions, hands-on product demonstrations, and one-on-one meeting opportunities with leaders in the space.”
“AUDIENCExSCIENCE is the Advertising Research Foundation’s (ARF) biggest annual event where industry leaders and innovators gather to address the most critical audience measurement issues. This year, those issues will be explored against the backdrop of the post-pandemic recovery.”
FLY FEMALE FOUNDERS’ WEBINAR ON WELLBEING
September 22, 9am
“The Key to Your Thriving Business Starts with Your Well-Being – with coffee chat sponsored by Luminary. This webinar from Lauren Baptiste of Acheloa Wellness will provide you with powerful tools and techniques to understand the effects of stress that are inhibiting your highest potential. We’ll explore ideas and exercises that will have you thinking differently as you cultivate and actualize an action plan forward.”
MARTECH SERIES LAUNCH PARTY
September 23, 12:30pm
Via Peter Davison in the community
“Launching the “Simplicity in Martech” series and putting this out into the world via the team at Boost Design UK. Alex Diaz is a senior product marketing manager at Webflow. For those based in the UK – we have a virtual mixology event with 137Gin. Some proceeds will go toward Surfers Against Sewage.
LINKEDIN LOCAL LONG ISLAND – VIRTUAL PROGRAM
Via Danielle Hughes and Beth Granger in the community
September 23, 5pm
“LinkedIn Local is back, and this one will be very special! Sign up now to join us virtually:
* Participate in guided networking – Meet new people and reconnect with those you know.
* Develop a more powerful LinkedIn headline – Danielle Hughes and Beth Granger will take you through a process so that you leave with a new headline and an understanding of how it can be so much more than just a job title.
* Unite as a group during an interactive music-fueled songwriting session led by Song Division, world-class musicians who have worked with international stars like Prince, Cher, Drake, Katy Perry, and more.
Your admission will be used to support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Light the Night campaign.”
STRATEGIC MARKETING 2021 VIRTUAL EVENT
“Reuters Events: Strategic Marketing 2021 brings together the world’s most influential CMOs and marketing leaders to discuss the impact of brands on society, leverage new digital touchpoints, and unleash the opportunities that come with this shift in consumer-brand relationships.”
COIN NATIONS – VIRTUAL GLOBAL SUMMIT 2021
“Coin Nations 2021 brings together executives, investors, entrepreneurs, and professionals in decentralized finance.
You will participate in Matchmaking networking and interactive discussions about the latest innovations, opportunities, and challenges surrounding Crypto, Blockchain, CBDCs, DeFi, NFTs, Wallets, Exchanges, and more!”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Better yet, subscribe to get updates from our job listing board. Here are some great opportunities shared in these places or sent to me directly.
Sr. Category Manager, Japanese Wagyu
“As Crowd Cow grows rapidly, we are seeking an experienced category leader who can combine strong business acumen with product and operational experience to drive growth profitably at scale. This is a unique opportunity to lead and scale a high-profile category and fully own end-to-end strategy at Crowd Cow, the leading online retailer of Japanese Wagyu in the US.”
Remote US within the Pacific time zone
“The Marketing Director will be responsible for creating and executing a comprehensive, multi-channel marketing plan to accelerate the growth of Candidate. This role will be a pivotal leadership role at the organization and require you to dig in at both the strategic and tactical levels. You will have management responsibilities across a variety of marketing efforts including brand positioning and awareness, product marketing, paid media, email marketing, website, social media, PR, and sales enablement.”
Director of Growth Marketing
New York, NY
Via Chris Gorges in the community
“We are seeking a Director of Growth Marketing to lead our acquisition strategy across online and offline growth channels. This role will be responsible for allocating and deploying a large media budget and managing a growth marketing team that plans, executes, and analyzes acquisition tactics that drive sustainable and efficient CAC at scale.”
Via Mark Verone in the community
“As a Campaign Manager, you would play a critical part in assisting TuneIn’s multiple sales channels in working with both TuneIn’s internal Trafficking Team and with external clients to ensure all digital, custom content, and audio campaigns are meeting and fulfilling their expected goals. You would be responsible for overseeing the performance of these campaigns while also supporting sales and clients in managing project execution and campaign reporting throughout the post-sales process.”
Director of Product Marketing
San Francisco Bay, California
“Transparent, cross-functional leader with passion for growth, the future Director of Product Marketing has:
* ~10 years of product marketing within a B2B SaaS business (startup/high growth company preferred), built/managed the product marketing function
* 3-4 years experience managing and/or hiring a product marketing team of +3
* Managed market research, competitive intelligence, and experience taking a company through a rebrand
* Collaborative, curious, and ability to communicate effectively cross-functionally
* Compatible with CaptivateIQ culture (transparent, passion for building and growing the company, biased for action and innovative)”
Product Marketing Manager
New York, NY (Remote)
Via Elsa A. in the community
“The Product Marketing Manager will be working to support our SaaS end client and product-driven marketing messaging and strategy by conducting competitive analysis and market research, creating collaterals to enable our Sales team, and translate our product roadmaps into successful launches.”
Manager, Demand Generation
Jersey City, NJ or remote
Via Lynn Schlesinger in the community
“Forbes Media is seeking an experienced email marketing professional to create and execute revenue driving campaigns. The ideal candidate is an email marketing maven with experience creating, executing, and measuring campaigns in leading marketing automation platforms (Pardot experience a plus!) who also has experience with other channels including list rentals, display and organic + paid social media.”
Marketing Manager, Partnerships
Via Yuval Yarden in the community
“The Marketing team is rapidly expanding and is looking for an innovative team member to build relationships with new partners as well as sustaining and growing those relationships over time. RenoFi aims to make renovating more accessible for everyone and wants someone who can take the initiative to bring fresh ideas to the team. This is a brand-new role at RenoFi and we are looking for an entrepreneurial marketer who is excited for the opportunity to create connections with others and will make the role their own.”
Director of Marketing
Via Chris Gorges in the community
“If you’re eager to join a startup from the earliest stages and be a huge part of its growth and success, then this role is for you. You’d be strategizing, executing, and monitoring our marketing initiatives, including but not limited to: paid social, placed ads, influencer marketing, content marketing, events, etc. Fully remote for now, but most of the team is based in NYC.”
Assistant Manager, Content Engagement
Via Kevin Chuang in the community
“The Assistant Manager, Content Engagement will report to the Senior Manager, Content Engagement & Creators Programming, supporting the development of a global strategy for the brand’s owned social media channels helping managing relationships with key external stakeholders, including creators and brand partners to amplify the social component of our channels, increase visibility and exposure for the Coach brand.”
Growth and Content Marketing Manager
“You will be one of our first marketing hires, and will be responsible for defining, implementing, and expanding the foundations of our Demand Generation team that will play a pivotal role in helping us hit our growth goals. This is a unique opportunity to start from a blank slate, have ownership over the mission and vision of how Growth Marketing will move the needle for Logixboard, and drive immediate and meaningful impact.”
Lifecycle Marketing Manager
Growth Marketing Manager
“Scratchpad is an all-in-one sales efficiency toolkit that allows users to consolidate and streamline the different aspects of sales.”
Find more jobs on the Serial Marketers job board.
Other job resources:
- Advisable: Get instant access to top marketing freelancers
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Braintrust: A new freelance platform where you are the owner and where freelance talent keeps 100% of the bill rate.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- CareerList: Here’s a form for companies hiring and a form for job seekers; here’s the public list with tabs for both
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- DiscoverTheTalent: An initiative designed to build partnerships with businesses to advocate, train, and hire military spouses
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Ex-Equinox Media Talent: A spreadsheet of available talent (permission given by those listed) who are recent ex-Equinox media folks.
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- GLG: Get paid to share your topical expertise; it can lead to some interesting conversations at a potentially decent hourly rate
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Hunterz: A way for connectors to get paid to introduce startups to large enterprises
- Lead5: A paid service for executive roles, plus intel on changes with companies and PE investments; you can try a risk-free weeklong trial to see if it’s any good for your needs
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Where you can hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Questions to Ask for a Marketing Role: What questions should you ask when starting a new marketing role or job?
- Remotists: Remote startup jobs, chronicled weekly
- Sales Hustle Stack: Find platform-based gigs and other creative ways to earn some extra cash
- Serial Marketers Job Board: Post regular and featured listings and subscribe for updates.
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal: One place to organize and manage your job search.
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
- Wanted: Wanted helps top talent in tech and marketing find a job at your desired pay.
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
GPO: Generate at least 20% more organic traffic. Doing a strong job in SEO but wonder if more traffic can be had? GPO will custom-build an AWS instance that will become a subdomain of your site, and generate at least 20% more traffic the first year. Contact Cory Cox in the community to redeem.
ContactSmarter: ContactSmarter is an AI tool that generates over 40% call booking rates without requiring human intervention. More details.
Markman Speaker Management: Get 15% off the half-day customized virtual training session “Get Speaking Engagements” for individuals or corporate staff through Sept. 30, 2021. Contact Steve Markman to redeem.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
Get 5% back on any bookings of the Focus, Growth, and ReFocus plan. To receive your rebate, please contact me after you book the course.
My Software Tutor
Get a 15% discount on live online classes that teach practical, functional, business-centric Microsoft Office software skills (Excel today, PowerPoint coming soon). Use code SERIAL15 to redeem. Premium members get a 25% discount.
Get 10% discounts on campaigns. ReverseAds reverses the search ad process, outperforming Google at a fraction of the cost. To redeem, contact Thom Feltz by email.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).
No CommentsLeave a comment Cancel