Maybe we forgot
They are not alone
No one is alone
Someone is on your side
No one is alone
From “No One is Alone” in Into the Woods by Stephen Sondheim
I was hanging out with an actor friend over Thanksgiving, and unfortunately, she’ll remember me as the person who informed her of Stephen Sondheim’s passing last Friday.
It’s hard to refer to Sondheim’s passing as some form of death, given the immortality of his work and influence. Mandy Patinkin, who starred as the titular role in Sondheim’s Sunday in the Park with George, tweeted, “Sondheim wrote what he wished for himself and the world at large. We’ll be learning from his work as long as people are singing songs and beyond.”
Despite my dismay at relaying the news to my friend, it was a treat to spend that time with this actor who has appeared in at least one of his productions.
My own Instagram feed’s references to Sondheim’s passing included two immediate mentions in Stories before returning to travel photos and food porn. For the actor, Sondheim memories and quotes quickly filled her entire feed. There was nothing else — there was only Stephen.
It was such a constant drumbeat that I told her, “This is what it was like in my feed when Steve Jobs died.” Then I mocked up an image of a classic black-and-white Jobs photo with the caption reading “’No day but today.’ – Steve Jobs, 1955-2011.”
The quote, which may ring a bell, is not from Jobs. It’s from the Broadway hit Rent, written and composed by Jonathan Larson. Larson is featured in Tick, Tick… BOOM! on Netflix. If you haven’t seen it yet, please, watch it. Twice. For starters.
One of the surprising characters in Larson’s musical is Stephen Sondheim, played by Bradley Whitford. The Sondheim portrayed there is a legend who humbly takes an interest in Larson’s work when so few believed in the young, starving artist.
As my actor friend shared some of the Sondheim tributes with me, the extent of Sondheim’s genius came through. But there was something I found even more powerful.
Most people aren’t geniuses. Most people’s work won’t be remembered for generations after they pass. We may all be creative and have talents to share, but we can’t all be a Sondheim on a level like that.
There’s another way we can be a Sondheim though.
Sondheim’s portrayal in Tick wasn’t an exaggeration. It wasn’t just Sondheim’s work that influenced countless artists. It was Sondheim’s humanity.
That Friday, the stories I saw from the actor’s friends showed Sondheim popping up like a guardian angel at the most critical moments. He was watching and listening and reading, sharing notes, and giving feedback and hope wherever he could.
This is the kind of Sondheim we all can be.
This is the kind of Sondheim who would take a meeting with an intern, and who would greet the intern by name when passing them in the hall.
This is the kind of Sondheim who’d encourage approaches that are unconventional, and that are different from his. And the Sondheim would learn something from the other’s approach, whether or not he thought it’d succeed.
This is the kind of Sondheim who’d offer constructive feedback as a way to build up others. It’s how Sondheim himself learned. Oscar Hammerstein II pushed a young Sondheim to tear apart his work and build something better. Without the candor of the lyricist who penned Oklahoma!, Carousel, South Pacific, and The King and I in less than a decade (1943-1951 – yes, it seems impossible), there would probably be no West Side Story.
This is the kind of Sondheim who’d watch a junior member of their team give a presentation, with that Sondheim being fully present for all of it.
The ripple effects of such Sondheimesque behavior are impossible to gauge, but sometimes you can.
Thanks to Hammerstein, Sondheim fulfilled his potential (and then some). Sondheim’s influence in multiple ways helped Larson fulfill his. Without Larson, could there be a Lin-Manuel Miranda, the director of the Netflix adaptation? I can’t listen to In the Heights or Hamilton without hearing the influence of Rent.
Larson writes in the song “Louder Than Words” from Tick, Tick… BOOM!:
What does it take
To wake up a generation?
How can you make someone
Take off and fly?
For marketers, there’s a generation that is already very much awake. But they need the opportunities to take off and fly. They need guidance. They need mentorship. They need constructive criticism.
They need our presence.
We can be in awe of Sondheim’s words and music without ever attempting to emulate his artistic talent. I was six or seven years old when I first heard “Jet Song” and “Gee, Officer Krupke.” While Sondheim, along with early influences like Harry Chapin and Shel Silverstein, contributed to my love of poetry and lyrics, I can’t say my work has ever risen to that level.
But we can all rise to the level of Sondheim not just inspiring people to take off and fly but giving them better wings and flight plans.
Guide them along the way,
Children will listen
Children will look to you for which way to turn
To learn what to be
From “Children Will Listen” in Into the Woods by Stephen Sondheim
- 22 Marketing Experts Share Their Best Advice to Help You Plan for 2022 by Michelle Garrett
- What Word Should you Use? Partner, Vendor, Agency, Trusted Advisor, Marketing, Digital Transformation? by Valeria Maltoni
- Which Comes First, Brand or Demand? by David Berkowitz
- Melissa Grady Dias: On Driving Marketing Differently by E.B. Moss
HOW TO SHARE
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards. Even one referral will net you a coin (try it out).
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
UPCOMING SERIAL MARKETERS EVENTS
- 12/15: Serial Marketers Holiday Spectacular (virtual), 5pm
THE ANATOMY OF A WINNING PROPOSAL
December 3, 12:30pm
“Do you cringe when a prospect says, “Send me a proposal?” Cringe no more! In this presentation, Ilise Benun will teach you how to respond to that question so you don’t waste your time (or theirs) on a proposal that isn’t going anywhere. Plus, if it does make sense to write a proposal, you’ll learn exactly what to include — and what not to include — in a winning proposal that wins you the project.”
SOCIAL TV DECEMBER NYC MEETUP (VIRTUAL)
December 9, 8:30am
“Join us VIRTUALLY for the 102nd installment of the revived SocialTV NYC meetup. December’s special guest will be David Berkowitz. The $5 attendance fee will be donated to the Food Bank for NYC. Their mission is to end hunger by organizing food, information and support for community survival and dignity. Food Bank For New York City has been working to end food poverty in our five boroughs for over 36 years. As the city’s largest hunger-relief organization, we employ a multifaceted approach centered on helping low-income New Yorkers overcome their circumstances and achieve greater independence.”
“Tech has never been more important in our lives and CES 2022 will bring the industry back together to experience the next generation of innovation. Over 1600 companies from across the globe – with more being added every day – will showcase the latest in digital health, food tech, automotive tech, NFTs, gaming, smart home, and more.” (Serial Marketers is partnering with Mediaocean as a perk for our members to have a great spot to work and learn. Request lounge access here.)
ASCENT SAAS: SPOTLIGHT ON MARKETING
“An all-virtual, intimate and exclusive gathering of the nation’s senior marketing leaders in SaaS. 150+ Senior CMOs & VPs of Marketing, 10 sessions, 3 industry keynotes, 3 interactive panels, endless networking…”
Via Jeff Pulver
“Historically my VON conferences helped accelerate the global growth of the Voice on the Net and Video on the Net worlds. VON helped usher in a new era in global communications. I envision similar opportunities at VON3. While elements of Web3 have been around for a few years, I believe now is the time to start pushing forward and explore the brave new opportunities available because of Web3.”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Better yet, subscribe to get updates from our job listing board. Here are some great opportunities shared in these places or sent to me directly.
“WITHIN is hiring a Marketing Coordinator to join the Marketing Team. In this role you will directly interface with clients, partners, and executive level team members, and will have the opportunity to take on new challenges and learn how to build a world-class marketing organization. You will constantly see and feel the impact of your work as you help the firm’s marketing team connect with some of the biggest and most exciting brands in the world.”
Manager, Marketing Communications
Via Meagan in the community
“This role is highly complex in nature as it functions across all departments within the agency and a successful candidate must be a dynamic learner with the ability to orchestrate and complete projects across teams and regions. You have high standards for your work. You’re not afraid to ask questions. You’re adept at delivering strategic, creative and effective marketing communications through multiple formats. You are constantly pushing to build and expand relationships, produce creative and effective communications and find ways to offer strategic value to the marketplace that will generate more opportunities for Just Global.”
Via Yuval in the community
“CompStak envisions a commercial real estate industry in which accurate and transparent data leads to better, faster deals for everyone. We gather critical information that is hard to access, then make it instantly and seamlessly available to our platform members. We are seeking a motivated, experienced and proven marketing leader to join CompStak as the VP, Marketing. In this position you will be responsible for the strategic planning, coordinating, and execution of Marketing efforts while leading the Marketing team.”
Social Media and Content Manager
Via Stephane in the community
“The Social Media and Content Manager will be responsible for helping us continue to elevate John Hardy’s marketing programs into a best-in-class digital storytelling platform. The ideal candidate will relentlessly find creative ways to inspire our active and enthusiastic communities: developing our brand voice for social, pitching content ideas, building editorial calendars, cultivating and growing influencer relationships, and actively monitoring/participating in online conversations to build brand visibility, engagement and ultimately drive sales.”
SENTIENT DECISION SCIENCE
Boston or NYC
Via Todd in the community:
“If you or someone you know have an interest in joining a team using the best data-based behavioral science tech in the MRX industry, we are hiring at Sentient Decision Science on our #Advertising #Creative evaluation product team for several roles.”
Social Media Manager
“Imperfect is seeking a savvy social media professional to engage and grow Imperfect’s community across our organic social media channels. The ideal candidate is someone who is not only passionate about food, sustainability, and Imperfect’s impact on the world but also understands the power of social media and delivering delightful brand experiences across platforms. We have a solid presence (close to 400K followers on IG!) that we’re looking to cultivate and enrich in 2021. As the Social Media Manager, you will fine-tune and manage Imperfect’s social media efforts in order to increase our acquisition and awareness efforts.”
Director of Product Marketing
Via Dave Weinberg in the community
“We’re looking for a “customer first” focused leader who’s excited about growing business-critical product lines. In this role, you will develop strategic partnerships with your Sales, Customer Success, Marketing, Product, and Engineering peers, go deep in a problem space or domain, and translate your vision into a comprehensive go-to-market strategy. You will be expected to foster future leaders while building diverse and inclusive teams. This role will be a high-impact leadership position that will collaborate closely and strategically with other leaders across the company.”
Social Media Manager
Via Lia Zneimer in the community
“In this role, you will:
* Own all of our social media channels.
* Plan and manage campaign executions, on time, on budget, to scope
* Create engaging content and maintain the cadence and voice of each of our channels.
* Source content from teams across the company, communicating new ideas and initiatives across channels.
* Lead the development of a wide range of content forms, including video, text, still imagery, animation, live action and other content forms that best utilize the technology available on any given social media/digital platform.”
Marketing Assistant (Technical)
Portland, Oregon or remote
Via Cory Huff in the community
“Productive Flourishing helps people finish their most important projects by publishing some of the best articles, books, and courses on productivity and leadership. We are a Black-, veteran-, and woman-owned small business that intentionally cultivates diversity on our team and in the work we do. We encourage BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply. We’re looking for a Marketing Assistant (Technical) with experience providing technical support for a fast-paced online marketing team.”
Creator Acquisition Manager
Via Weston Armstrong Woodward in the community
“We are looking for a Creator Acquisition Manager to join our Community Success Team to support creator acquisition and onboarding to the Locals platform. The Creator Acquisition Manager will constantly be on the lookout for new opportunities to bring on new creators based on real-time events. It’s critical to understand the many social media platforms and how content creators distribute and monetize their content and their brand.”
Director, Campaign Content Strategy
“The Director, Campaign Content Strategy is responsible for developing content strategy and overseeing content execution for WRK’s content marketing team. You are responsible for managing and advancing our content marketing programs and projects. In addition to your extensive experience in content marketing, you should also be a creative and strategic thinker and have a keen eye for process. The services you will be overseeing range from written editorial work, creative visual assets across both traditional and digital media, creative briefs to strategy deliverables – and beyond!”
Head of Marketing
Via Chris Gorges in the community
“The Marketing Director will create a new marketing strategy and enjoy full accountability while leveraging a strong global brand and robust set of existing assets. The Marketing Director will own the entire marketing function, reporting to the MetaProp partnership.”
VP of Marketing
“Our VP of Marketing will define the new space we are creating and craft a strategy for making us a household name with finance and procurement leaders the world over. This includes end-to-end marketing initiatives in brand, product, content, and even performance marketing over time. You will also measure and communicate performance in a way that is digestible at the IC, executive, and board level. You will report directly to the CEO, and you will have lots of empowerment and autonomy to bring your vision to market.”
Acquisition Growth Marketer
Via Dave Weinberg in the community
“Array is revolutionizing how businesses leverage and enhance consumer data. Our platform enables innovative companies and developers to seamlessly integrate credit and identity data into their apps, websites or workflows. As a remote-first company, we’re focused on providing opportunities for autonomous individuals to have high levels of impact at the forefront of the fintech space. If you’re looking for autonomy, impact, and cutting-edge FinTech, we’d love to hear from you.”
Find more open roles via Candidate.co. Refer yourself or your friends, and get rewarded for supporting your network.
Also, check out the Serial Marketers job board.
Other job resources:
- Advisable: Get instant access to top marketing freelancers
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Before: A talent matching platform with the mission to end bias in the hiring process.
- Braintrust: A new freelance platform where you are the owner and where freelance talent keeps 100% of the bill rate.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- CareerList: Here’s a form for companies hiring and a form for job seekers; here’s the public list with tabs for both
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- DiscoverTheTalent: An initiative designed to build partnerships with businesses to advocate, train, and hire military spouses
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Ex-Equinox Media Talent: A spreadsheet of available talent (permission given by those listed) who are recent ex-Equinox media folks.
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- GLG: Get paid to share your topical expertise; it can lead to some interesting conversations at a potentially decent hourly rate
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Hunterz: A way for connectors to get paid to introduce startups to large enterprises
- Lead5: A paid service for executive roles, plus intel on changes with companies and PE investments; you can try a risk-free weeklong trial to see if it’s any good for your needs
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Where you can hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Questions to Ask for a Marketing Role: What questions should you ask when starting a new marketing role or job?
- Remotists: Remote startup jobs, chronicled weekly
- Sales Hustle Stack: Find platform-based gigs and other creative ways to earn some extra cash
- Serial Marketers Job Board: Post regular and featured listings and subscribe for updates.
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal: One place to organize and manage your job search.
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
- Wanted: Wanted helps top talent in tech and marketing find a job at your desired pay.
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
GPO: Generate at least 20% more organic traffic. Doing a strong job in SEO but wonder if more traffic can be had? GPO will custom-build an AWS instance that will become a subdomain of your site, and generate at least 20% more traffic the first year. Contact Cory Cox in the community to redeem.
Markman Speaker Management: Get 15% off the half-day customized virtual training session “Get Speaking Engagements” for individuals or corporate staff through Sept. 30, 2021. Contact Steve Markman to redeem.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
My Software Tutor
My Software Tutor is offering all Excel and PPT courses through December 2021 at 50% off listed price. Learn the practical skills you need to succeed. Use promo code: SERIAL50. This code can be shared with friends and family. Register today on the MST website.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).