This isn’t a ‘normal’ week (as if any week is normal these days), so I’ll scrap an attempt at a ‘normal’ column.
Here are the limited words I could muster on Twitter as Russia invaded Ukraine around midnight my time:
For the people of Ukraine.
For this to be the last, fruitless gasp of one of the world’s most ruthless tyrants.
For peace, justice, wisdom, and righteousness prevail to once this is behind us.
If you have any thoughts about how marketers and other business professionals can best support the people of Ukraine right now, I’d love to hear them.
For a good starting point of who to follow, my Ukrainian American friend Dora Chomiak has invaluable perspective.
This list from Gavin Sheridan shared by Justin Hendrix also looks comprehensive.
Meanwhile, in Texas…
There is no word but “cruelty” to describe the approach of the governor toward families with trans children. Read more here.
I texted someone I know in such a family. They’re packing up now and fleeing the state.
This is not a drill.
Again, please share thoughts on ways to help. We can circulate them in the community and newsletters, and beyond.
One other note on Texas…
I’ll be in Austin for SXSW March 11-15. Perhaps, as we all get together, some good can come out of it.
We’ll have a community get-together. I’m still firming up the exact time and place, but if you want to RSVP and get updates, visit https://sxsw-marketers.
Drinks will be covered, so if there’s a cause or other events you think we should be involved with, let me know.
For those going through a lot right now, whatever “a lot” means to you, if you’re reading this, there is someone who is here for you, and there are probably many more.
The community tagline is “marketers need marketers, too,” but it’s never just about marketers. We’re not marketers at our core; we’re people.
Trans or cis, Ukrainian or American, red or blue or pink or polka dotted, there’s so much good we can all keep doing for one another.
Peace to Ukraine, and love to all the multifaceted families of Texas.
- Michael Basch: How to Balance Qualitative and Quantitative Leadership by Adam Conner of Dedicated.ai
- Super Bowl Ads Win a Safety – TVREV by David Berkowitz, SVP of Corporate Marketing & Communications at Mediaocean
- 3 Keys To Hiring An Effective Corporate Keynote Speaker (Steve Markman of Markman Speaker Management, LLC, was quoted in a recent Forbes article)
HOW TO SHARE
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards. Even one referral will net you a coin (try it out).
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
UPCOMING SERIAL MARKETERS EVENTS
- 3/2: First Wednesdays in-person NYC, Mason Jar on E 30th (vax proof required), 5-7pm
- 3/9: Serial Marketers Speedups on Upstream — connect with fellow marketers 1:1.
- 3/16: Serial Marketers Community Salons, Co-hosted with Michael Bendit of Trusted Referral Network, the Community Salons bring guest speakers together to lead thought-provoking discussions and invaluable opportunities for connections.
SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIES SUMMIT
February 23–24, 2022
“Join Your Peers at the #1 Social Media Event for Senior-Level Marketing Professionals. –Learn the nuts and bolts of a successful social media strategy to position your brand for success.– Assess and audit your current social media initiatives through real-life feedback, discussions and peer-to-peer learning. –Revitalize your strategy framework as brand practitioners walk you step-by-step through successful case studies. and more…”
FEBRUARY 28 – MARCH 1
“RampUp is back to bring together marketing and technology’s best to solve shared challenges. When we unify and collaborate, we all win.This year’s event will return to the Fairmont hotel in San Francisco. We’re excited to see everyone in person once again and are dedicated to providing a safe and excellent experience. Not able to travel? Don’t worry, as this year’s event will also be live-streamed right to your computer. To access, you can register as a virtual attendee. All in-person registrants have access to our event platform as well, so you can attend both in-person and virtually.”
BORRELL MIAMI 2022
March 6-8, Hilton Miami Downtown
“The event attracts a Who’s Who of local media, so you can expect to meet and mingle with c-suite executives from major media and marketing companies across the U.S. and Canada. You can also expect a professional, well organized event. We run a tight ship. Presentations are rehearsed, speakers start on time, and information that flows from the stage is crisp and chock full of new data. Main-stage presentations are rarely longer than 30 minutes, and we will offer several tracks to offer even more great topics and sessions. Several of the panel sessions will give attendees the opportunity to ask questions and have audience interaction on important drill-down issues.”
8TH ANNUAL LDV VISION SUMMIT
March 23, Free Online Event
“LDV Capital brings together top technologists, entrepreneurs and investors to discuss groundbreaking visual tech and business opportunities in synthetic content creation, computational biology, chemistry, healthcare, space, sensors and chips, and so much more! Speakers come from Openwater, NASA, Inception Prelude Fertility, Pachama, MAC Venture Capital, Breakout Ventures, Northzone, Axiom Space, Prime Movers Lab, Glass Imaging, Streetlogic, BurnerPage, and Earkick. Expect enlightening keynotes, inspiring panel discussions and heated fireside chats for free from the comfort of your couch.”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Better yet, subscribe to get updates from our job listing board. Here are some great opportunities shared in these places or sent to me directly.
Marketing Analytics Manager
Via Alexander in the community
“We are looking for an Analytics Manager to join our team. As a manager here at HLK, you’ll need to be part marketing savant, data strategist, platform expert, and data detective as this position is responsible for measurement, analysis, reporting, and insights across a range of clients. The performance analytics manager will work closely with other teams (Media, Planning, Tech, etc) to gather strategic and tactical input, understand objectives, and define the appropriate analytics approach to a range of marketing and business challenges.”
Platform Intern / Entrepreneur in Residence
“We are looking for a curious and driven high-potential to join our Visionaries Club Platform Team as a full-time Intern / Entrepreneur in Residence in Berlin or remote. This role will allow you to work in a young and highly entrepreneurial European venture firm and interact with our outstanding portfolio companies (e.g. Personio, Choco, Xentral, Taxdoo, etc.) as well as backers from the old and new economy (e.g. Founders of UiPath, Flixbus, Swarovski, Bitburger, etc.).”
Influencer Marketing Manager
“You’ll be tasked with taking our influencer program from the small test it is today (started in July 2021) to making it one of our most impactful growth marketing channels. In terms of social platforms, our main priority is Instagram, while secondarily incorporating TikTok, YouTube and blogs. From expanding our volume of influencers to testing new social platforms to optimizing the process, there is a ton of opportunity for both the program, and for our future Influencer Marketing Manger.”
Director of Customer Lifecycle Marketing
Via Melissa in the community
“Gladly is the Radically Personal Customer Service Platform that puts people at the center of a single, lifelong conversation. We enable companies to talk to their customers the way people talk to their friends: seamlessly across voice, email, SMS, chat, and social media. As Director of Customer Lifecycle Marketing, you will shape a sustainable engagement model with new and existing customers across their entire lifecycle. With a focus on automation and creation of reciprocity with the Gladly brand, you’ll deliver a new customer pipeline and existing customer expansion.”
Senior SEO Specialist
Via Melissa in the community
“Gladly is the Radically Personal Customer Service Platform that puts people at the center of a single, lifelong conversation. We enable companies to talk to their customers the way people talk to their friends: seamlessly across voice, email, SMS, chat, and social media. As Sr. SEO Specialist, you will own our search engine optimization strategy and be responsible for executing said strategy for new and existing customers across their entire lifecycle. With a focus on automation and creation of reciprocity with the Gladly brand, you’ll work closely with the content team to deliver new customer acquisition journeys in search and drive organic growth.”
Also, check out the Serial Marketers job board.
Other job resources:
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Braintrust: A freelance platform where you are the owner and where freelance talent keeps 100% of the bill rate.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Questions to Ask for a Marketing Role: What questions should you ask when starting a new marketing role or job?
- Serial Marketers Job Board: Post regular and featured listings and subscribe for updates.
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal: One place to organize and manage your job search.
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
GPO: Generate at least 20% more organic traffic. Doing a strong job in SEO but wonder if more traffic can be had? GPO will custom-build an AWS instance that will become a subdomain of your site, and generate at least 20% more traffic the first year. Contact Cory Cox in the community to redeem.
Markman Speaker Management: Get 15% off the half-day customized virtual training session “Get Speaking Engagements” for individuals or corporate staff through Dec. 31, 2022. Contact Steve Markman to redeem.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
My Software Tutor
My Software Tutor is offering all Excel and PPT courses through December 2021 at 50% off listed price. Learn the practical skills you need to succeed. Use promo code: SERIAL50. This code can be shared with friends and family. Register today on the MST website.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).