“I would not call today’s verdict justice because justice implies restoration. But it is accountability, which is the first step toward justice.”
– Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison
We’ll continue with this week’s newsletter, but I kept rereading those remarks and had to at least acknowledge that first step toward justice that so many Americans were longing for.
Thank you, AG Ellison.
One of the most impactful surprises of 2020 was that it forced every company to become a tech company.
Before, I used to cringe at these platitudes. WeWork was a real estate company, not a tech company. Allbirds sold shoes. Marriott sold hotel rooms and conference space. Having a mobile app didn’t mean they were tech companies.
But then came 2020.
Any business that didn’t lean into its digital presence was either scraping by on government support or wasn’t able to last the year. Everyone really had to be in the tech business with a digital point of entry for customers, whether or not the entire experience wound up being digital.
As we celebrate Earth Day this year, we should expect that what happened with technology will happen with climate.
If you’re not already in the climate business, you’re about to be.
How you source products will derive from decisions your company makes about how much it is working to minimize the effects of climate change.
Ever travel for work? You’ll be in the climate business.
Turning on the lights? Climate business.
Using paper? Climate.
Catering a company meeting? Climate.
What about where you do business? Are you in a coastal city or town? You probably will care about the effect of climate change.
Wary of rising sea levels? Great that you moved inland. Where is your water supply coming from anyway? How’s the drought going? How’s the heat? Climate again.
Do you have customers? Great. Are any of them being displaced by climate change? No? Great. You’re lucky.
Are any of them changing their purchasing decisions to support businesses working to make the Earth more livable? You want to be prepared, not lucky.
What country are you in? Is your government providing incentives for you to switch to sustainable resources? To not take advantage of those could be considered neglecting your fiduciary responsibilities.
When will we see corporate boards fire chief executives for neglecting the impact of climate change on their business? It’ll happen.
There will be increasing penalties from various governments as well. There will be taxes. There will be costs of doing business that remind us we are all in the climate business.
That might not affect all of us right now. I’m no model of green standards. I’m looking out for my budget more than I’m looking at my carbon footprint.
But just as I’m a marketing consultant and community builder running a digital business in all kinds of ways, I know I’ll be in the climate business soon enough.
So will you.
Thanks to Nishant Mani of Terra.do for enlightening me on the subject during the community’s Salon this week. He’ll be in Clubhouse this Earth Day, Thursday at 4pm ET, with Merrill Feather, Laura Fitton, and Jas Dhillon to discuss what marketers can do about climate change. Join us.
- USIM will Accept Crypto Payment For Media Buys by Joe Mandese
- More time, tools, and details on the Google page experience update by Jeffrey Jose
- How to Teach People to Deal With You by Debra Brennan Tagg
- Facebook Announces New Audio Features to Take on Clubhouse by Sylvia Varnham O’Regan
- Here’s Why We Play Inside the Lines by Sean Ryan
HOW TO SHARE
Thanks to E.B. Moss, Praveen Mishra, Amy Gittelman, Matthew Silverman, Jeremy Woolf, Jason Gardner, B.L. Ochman, Ken Simon, and Boris Pfieffer for spreading the word about the newsletter recently.
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards.
Here’s your own personalized link, with more referral rewards for sharing the newsletter. Visit https://
Share via: Email | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn——————————
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
SERIAL MARKETERS SALONS
- 4/27: Meagen Eisenberg, CMO, TripActions on how to market back-to-business travel (+Clubhouse after-session at 4pm)
- 5/4: Shannon Truax, social media director, M&T Bank
- 5/11: Leo Morejon, social media marketing lead, Applegate, and host of Prove It Matters
- 5/18: David Spinks, CMX founder, VP Community at Bevy, and author of The Business of Belonging (RSVP here – meeting via Bevy, not Zoom)
RSVP on our Meetup (updated link)
SERIAL MARKETERS SPEEDUPS
Alternating Thursdays, 12pm
Join the virtual 1:1 rapid-fire speed-meeting event to connect with fellow Serial Marketers, hosted on the Upstream app.
VIRTUAL EVENTS: THE SHOW MUST GO ON
April 21, 1pm
Via Michael Toedman in the community:
“The sheer number of events, even relevant and well-produced digital programs, run the risk of becoming ‘the TV in the background’ with attendees logged on but not paying attention. As marketers, this is incredibly disappointing because we put the work in to create content that is valuable to our audience and worthy of time and attention. So how do we make sure our virtual events continue to engage and impact our audience?”
TECHSEO MINI BOOST
April 22, 8:15am
Via William Álvarez in the community:
“Through a condensed agenda, Catalyst’s TechSEO “Mini” Boost offers a half-day virtual experience that includes cutting-edge content from top technical SEOs around the world. Join us in our new streamlined virtual format as we explore topics like server-side tagging, Python, SEO testing, and evangelizing technical SEO.”
WHAT MARKETERS CAN DO ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE
April 22, 4pm
Join marketing and environmentalist leaders, David Berkowitz, @Pistachio, Nishant Mani, and Jas Dhillon, for this special Earth Day event.
TRADEMARKS: VALUE, PROTECTION, AND THE APPLICATION PROCESS
April 23, 12:30pm
Via Nancy Ruzow in the community:
“Entrepreneurs work hard to create striking and memorable trademarks — often without fully realizing the value of what they’ve created or how to protect it. This session explains what a trademark is (and what it is not) while providing an overview of the trademark application process. The presenter, Dana Dickson is a trademark attorney who runs her own law firm dedicated exclusively to trademark law.”
WORLD TRAVEL & TOURISM COUNCIL GLOBAL SUMMIT
“WTTC’s annual Global Summit is the most influential Travel & Tourism event in the calendar, where the highest-level industry leaders meet with key government representatives to take action on the biggest and most important issues across the international agenda. This year, the Global Summit will be exploring the challenges ahead and providing a platform for the recovery of the sector.”
May 5, 6pm
First Wednesday keeps going strong. We have dozens of people RSVPing for this fun NYC tradition led by Zack Rosenberg.
CREATIVE SPIRIT VIRTUAL GALA
May 6, 8pm
Via Mack in the community:
“I’m on the Board of Creative Spirit & Co-Chair of this year’s Gala. 85% of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities are unemployed. Creative Spirit’s mission is to get 1M of these adults hired over the next 10 years. If you think your company is a fit for partnership, please email me firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s not too late for your brand/agency/company to come on board as a sponsor!”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Here are some great opportunities shared there or sent to me directly.
THE BLACK TV & FILM COLLECTIVE
Part-time Program Director
Are you passionate about the film & TV business? Do you enjoy engaging with creative people and believe stories by and for Black people are important? Does the prospect of supporting Black and Brown artists who are moving projects through the development and production pipeline excite you? Do you want to see your talents making a meaningful impact on changing the world?
ART OF PROBLEM SOLVING
Digital Marketing Manager
Remote available in 12 states
Via Eric in the community:
“We are searching for an insatiably curious, creative, and data-driven ecommerce marketer with a strong PPC and paid social track record and strong marketing analytics chops to help drive K-12 student enrollment for our online math programs.”
Via Mary Beth in the community:
“Day-to-day the Communications Manager primarily functions as copywriter, long and short-form, with ability to research and write about complex technology, business and healthcare topics, but will participates in editorial planning, campaign development and large-scale Marketing Automation and Content Management system projects.”
SPROUT SOCIAL, INC.
Manager, Marketing Operations
Chicago or remote
Able to understand and use data from multiple sources to formulate reports and presentations that communicate marketing insights, the future Manager, Marketing Operations has:
* 5+ years overall marketing experience, 3+ years experience in marketing automation
* Salesforce proficiency required; Marketo preferred, open to Pardot or Hubspot experience as an alternative
* Experience coming from another B2B or B2B SaaS company
Head of Marketing Demand Generation
Via Krista in the community:
“I am hiring for a global head of demand-gen (director level role). Please check it out and apply online + shoot me a note.”
Head of Sales
“A natural leader and player coach who knows how to build and motivate a successful team, the future Head of Sales has:
* 8+ years direct sales experience, expertise in selling enterprise software
* Track record that exceeds sales quota (ideally $1MM+)
* Passion for value selling and easily and successfully builds deep and trusting relationships using a consultative approach
* Comfort with technology and demonstrating products directly with prospects
* Understanding of the concept of “tying the golden thread” and is a creative and out of the box thinker”
Senior Manager of Brand Marketing
Via Chris in the community:
“AF is looking for a creative and hardworking team member to serve as our Brand Marketing Lead. This individual will play a critical role in developing the differentiated brand voice + strong consumer connections that will accelerate the rapid growth of our brand awareness and sales.”
Programmatic Media Manager
Via Zoe Parks in the community:
“Are you a Digital Media professional who is self-driven, eager to continuously learn and willing to go the extra mile in an exciting field that is ever-changing? Onward!”
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Via Shari in the community:
“Do you love telling stories to bring products to life for customers? Is your passion identifying and solving for customer problems? Do you love asking questions to dig deeper and learn more? Are you looking for an opportunity to grow a new product offering in a fast-paced environment?”
Integrated Marketing Lead
Via Anthony Giordano in the community:
“Your eyes are peeled for a technology startup that is bringing innovative and palpable change to the built world. You’re passionate about affecting consumer behavior in a way that’s good for our communities and our planet. As a leader in the marketing team, you’ll be promoting services to all our users, including riders, drivers, channel partners, and operators.”
Growth Marketing Lead
San Francisco, CA
the future Growth Marketing Lead has:
* 4-6 years of experience in a performance marketing, ecommerce, consulting or financial role
* Strong project management and quantitative skills, ability to manage relationships with senior stakeholders
* Impact-driven nature and is an accountable professional with acute self awareness and emotional intelligence
Chief Brand Officer
Qualifications for the Role:
* 15-20+ years of experience building high growth consumer or B2B category creating businesses to success
* Deep experience building a global brand
* Excellent communication skills
* Strong curiosity
* Business, market & customer data-informed decision making
More via Hunt Club
* LMX Labs: Head of Marketing & Communications (NY)
* Tagger Media: Digital Marketing Manager (LA)
* Pernod Ricard: Senior Manager, Creative & Content, Manager, Performance Marketing
Other job resources:
- Advisable: Get instant access to top marketing freelancers
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- CareerList: Here’s a form for companies hiring and a form for job seekers; here’s the public list with tabs for both
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- GLG: Get paid to share your topical expertise; it can lead to some interesting conversations at a potentially decent hourly rate
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Hunterz: A way for connectors to get paid to introduce startups to large enterprises
- Lead5: A paid service for executive roles, plus intel on changes with companies and PE investments; you can try a risk-free weeklong trial to see if it’s any good for your needs
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Where you can hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Remotists: Remote startup jobs, chronicled weekly
- Sales Hustle Stack: Find platform-based gigs and other creative ways to earn some extra cash
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal Job Tracker: A free Chrome extension to manage and enhance your job search
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
- Wanted: Wanted helps top talent in tech and marketing find a job at your desired pay.
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
OFFERS (NEW SECTION)
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
Get 5% back on any bookings of the Focus, Growth, and ReFocus plan. To receive your rebate, please contact me after you book the course.
My Software Tutor
Get a 15% discount on live online classes that teach practical, functional, business-centric Microsoft Office software skills (Excel today, PowerPoint coming soon). Use code SERIAL15 to redeem. Premium members get a 25% discount.
Get 10% discounts on campaigns. ReverseAds reverses the search ad process, outperforming Google at a fraction of the cost. To redeem, contact Thom Feltz by email.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).
Get lifetime access to this file management tech with three seats, all free. (Premium members get five seats; see the Slack channel for details and a custom link.)