One of the stranger Twitter disputes that has somehow kept burning lately has been around the etiquette of using Calendly and other such apps for scheduling meetings.
There’s an anti-Calendly faction out there that hates receiving Calendly links. The one person I connected with who was most offended by me offering a link to my Calendly calendar after we both agreed to meet said something to the effect of, “I’m not your admin.” I didn’t pursue the meeting further, and I’m relieved to have not spent more time with him.
Some people love to take offense to Calendly. Michael Miraflor tweeted this example from Ahana Banerjee where someone wanted to meet with her but not by using her calendar link.
The strangest part about the response is that Ahana did the best possible move anyone can do to defuse these situations before they start. She wrote, “Please let me know if you’d have some time in the coming weeks, or if easier, feel free to find a time via my Calendly.”
It was a perfect way to schedule a meeting — especially when it’s not a cold call. Give someone the option to send times the old-fashioned way or via their own preferred method, or let them save time and use your link.
Calendly and its ilk aren’t a power play for the sender; they give control to the recipient. Instead of me telling you, “I’m free Tuesday 3-5 and Thursday 12-2,” you let someone choose what works for them. To me at least, it’s the epitome of respect. Those who have a problem with it must need something new to be outraged over. Or, in the words of Michael, they are “super lame or hate efficiency.”
The rules for using Calendly are simple:
1) If you haven’t discussed meeting yet, don’t send a calendar link. (Granted, if it’s a cold email, you’re most likely spamming someone anyway and won’t care about etiquette.)
2) If you two want to meet, send a calendar link and give an option for them to send over better times if they prefer that.
One other underappreciated feature is that with Calendly, you can also let people choose which kind of meeting to book with you. I offer Zoom, Google Meet, and the phone; Calendly will automatically create the right link or include my number. Again, this gives more control to the person booking time with you. I might be happy to see them, but if they want to get off Zoom, they have the option before the call starts.
There are a few other benefits with Calendly in particular, and these are benefits a marketer can love.
Calendly offers so many marketing opportunities. They let you show off who you are. With a bit of customization, you can extend your voice to some unlikely places.
Check out my calendar page, for instance (just don’t schedule a meeting out of the blue with it, thanks). Every type of meeting has a custom description, and there are even two kinds of meetings that are impossible to book. For me, playfulness and even a touch of mischief are on brand (the name “Serial Marketer” is loaded with mischief). The calendar link winds up being a conversation starter.
On certain paid plans for Calendly, you can also customize an automated message that attendees receive after the meeting ends. I had to adjust these to send 15 or 30 minutes after a meeting since my meetings routinely ran long. They include some links to resources like my How I Can Help page, and the message often winds up being a useful way to jumpstart the post-meeting follow-ups.
While there are other meeting booking tools out there, Calendly is one of my favorites to pay for given all the flexibility it offers both my connections and me. There are tons of automations I don’t take advantage of, but I do like the new Doodle-esque feature where you can let a group of people pick from a range of windows to find the best time for everyone to meet.
The bonus for me is that as with so much in life, getting to show a little bit of personality in the most unlikely places is what others tend to appreciate the most.
- The AdForum PHNX Awards 2022 are accepting entries. I even get to judge them this year, so let me judge you. Submit entries now.
- Qantas Airlines Enters Crypto Fly Zone With NFT Drop by Jet Encila in Crypto News, NFT
- Data privacy is for life, not just a day | Marketing Magazine by Georgia Brammer
HOW TO SHARE
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards. Even one referral will net you a coin (try it out).
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
UPCOMING SERIAL MARKETERS EVENTS
- 4/6: First Wednesdays in-person NYC, Mason Jar on E 30th, 5-7pm. Hosted by our friends at Thece, thanks to our community advisor and advocate Zach Rozga. Come meet Zach while he’s in town, and enjoy a beverage or two of your choice.
- 4/13: Serial Marketers Speedups on Upstream — connect with fellow marketers 1:1.
- 4/20: Serial Marketers Community Salons, Co-hosted with Michael Bendit of Trusted Referral Network, the Community Salons bring guest speakers together to lead thought-provoking discussions and invaluable opportunities for connections.
2022 AD AGE NEXT: RETAIL
April 5, Virtual
“On April 5, brand leaders, retail experts and tech executives will discuss how stores are staying relevant with new technology designed to enhance shoppability and the e-commerce experience as well as fresh advertising that connects consumers with brands. They’ll talk about how their stores fared during the pandemic and offer a look at where they are placing their bets for the future”
DIGIDAY MEDIA BUYING SUMMIT
April 5-7, Palm Springs, CA
“While business and revenues may be returning to normal — how are agencies ensuring that their DE&I initiatives are staying strong and keeping an authentic voice? How are they supporting their teams on hybrid workforces? How does the metaverse fit in? Join us at Digiday’s Media Buying Summit as we discuss the trials and successes of navigating these very important challenges.”
April 6- 7, New York + Virtual
“As one of the industry’s leading investors in AI, Insight Partners is proud to be hosting ScaleUp:AI this April alongside partner Citi and the AI industry’s most transformational leaders. Bringing visionaries, luminaries, and doers of AI and innovation together, this hybrid conference will unlock ideas, solve real business challenges and illustrate why we are in the middle of the AI ScaleUp revolution – and how to turn it into commercial reality. Use FRIENDS25 for 25% off your ticket.”
ESI Washington DC
“It’s been three years since ESI was last in the USA for one of our flagship events, but we’re back with a bang for ESI Washington D.C 2022! Join us for an exciting few days in which we wholeheartedly embrace the strengths of the US capital. We will be bringing our trademark combination of networking, education and content to DC, with a specialised focus on governance, regulation and esports’ growth around the world.”
SOCIAL MEDIA & INFLUENCER STRATEGIES SUMMIT
JUNE 7–10, Virtual Conference
“4 Days of Proven Social Media and Influencer Marketing Strategies from 50 Leading Brands. Learn the nuts and bolts of a successful social media strategy to position your brand for success. Assess and audit your current social media initiatives through real-life feedback, discussions and peer-to-peer learning. The best of both worlds: 2 conferences, 4 days, and 50 speakers help you maximize the performance of your social media and influencer marketing programs, and more…”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Better yet, subscribe to get updates from our job listing board. Here are some great opportunities shared in these places or sent to me directly.
Via Christine in the community
“Reporting to the SVP of Customer Success, the Account Director owns managing the success for an assigned group of enterprise clients as measured through customer health, renewal, and referenceability. Leveraging their constant curiosity, customer passion, and results orientation they’ll identify and lead the resources required to assure customers achieve their desired outcomes with every interaction with AuthenticID. Ownership starts with a warm hand-off from sales, and requires commitments to communicating program expectations, recurring value, and results in a manner that speaks to the client’s individual contributors and executives alike. Exceptional people skills and business acumen are required to build trust and expand relationships with IT staff, security, compliance, and business stakeholders.”
Via Hillary in the community
“The planning and optimization group is the core of our organization, responsible for applying highly analytical and quantitative approaches to deliver campaign performance, taking financial risk, and assisting the Solutions teams in managing client relationships. P&O Associate Directors are expected to employ and continually define the state-of-the-art techniques in the online marketing industry through their deep understanding of digital technologies, a passion for using data to inform creative problem solving. They must possess excellent active listening skills to understand client needs and translate those needs into campaign objectives.”
SPORTS INNOVATION LAB
Via Gina in the community
“The Executive Assistant will support the CEO in her day-to-day tasks.These tasks include scheduling meetings, organizing meeting details, managing travel logistics, and preparing materials for meetings. This is a great opportunity to work with a truly inspiring leader (4X Olympic medalist, IOC Member, Forbes Most Powerful Women in Sports), Angela Ruggiero, in an exciting and quickly growing startup environment.”
Launch Pad Associate
New York, New York
“At GroupM, we believe that work is a part of life, not the other way around. To support that belief, we have recently adopted a “collaboration-led” hybrid approach to work in order to provide employees with the flexibility to do the best work of their lives no matter where they are working. This means that for roles where it makes sense, you’ll spend some of your time in our incredible workspaces (when it’s safe to do so) and some of your time remote. The Summer 2022 application window for GroupM Launch Pad is now live through May 8, 2022 and the first cohort class begins June 6, 2022, and will focus on associate roles across paid social, paid search, and programmatic, with the program scaling more broadly across the organization throughout the year.”
Also, check out the Serial Marketers job board.
Other job resources:
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Braintrust: A freelance platform where you are the owner and where freelance talent keeps 100% of the bill rate.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Questions to Ask for a Marketing Role: What questions should you ask when starting a new marketing role or job?
- Serial Marketers Job Board: Post regular and featured listings and subscribe for updates.
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal: One place to organize and manage your job search.
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
GPO: Generate at least 20% more organic traffic. Doing a strong job in SEO but wonder if more traffic can be had? GPO will custom-build an AWS instance that will become a subdomain of your site, and generate at least 20% more traffic the first year. Contact Cory Cox in the community to redeem.
Markman Speaker Management: Get 15% off the half-day customized virtual training session “Get Speaking Engagements” for individuals or corporate staff through Dec. 31, 2022. Contact Steve Markman to redeem.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
My Software Tutor
My Software Tutor is offering all Excel and PPT courses through December 2021 at 50% off listed price. Learn the practical skills you need to succeed. Use promo code: SERIAL50. This code can be shared with friends and family. Register today on the MST website.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).