Pre-SXSW, I’ve got a bunch of updates for y’all that I’m itching to share.
As a reminder, Serial Marketers is co-hosting our first-ever SXSW Marketer Mixer thanks to the generous support of Mediaocean and Prohaska Consulting. It’s Saturday, March 12, and I’d love to meet anyone who will be out in Austin.
RSVP at https://sxsw-marketers.
* * *
On Twitter, I shared SXSW Bingo, 2022 edition. I used to add these in my SXSW preview decks on Slideshare, but you’ll have to settle for a single post this time.
* * *
Community member and founder friend Barbara Buchanan was featured in Forrester Research. Her startup, MediaVax, is pioneering tech to fight disinformation. Following The Big Lie with the 2020 election, tons of false Covid info, and now Russia’s disinfo war accompanying the actual war it’s waging, MediaVax’s work couldn’t be more timely.
Barbara sent me a ton of details about what she’s seeing relating to Russia and Ukraine. I can’t possibly include all of it here, but a couple of points that stood out:
“Despite bans on Russian state media in the West, YouTube is still running rt.com and other Russian state media which are being shared on platforms — especially Twitter. FB seems to be doing a better job of screening. There is still a large supply of Russian disinfo on Twitter.”
Some good news: “Western media fact check machinery has done a fabulous job — they have been working overtime and done an incredible job of sorting out which videos / photos coming from Ukraine are legit (Reuters, AP, etc.).”
If you are working on issues like this and want an intro to Barbara, request it here, and I’ll forward it along.
* * *
Serial Marketers has teamed up with esports & gaming pioneer Thece to launch the first-ever Playfronts with the IAB. Thanks to community member and Thece CEO Zach Rozga for involving us. Read more about it on LinkedIn.
Brands or agencies, sign up at https://www.thece.co/
* * *
What does SXSW mean for marketers? Join Orli LeWinter at the next community salon March 16, a group discussion co-hosted with Trusted Referral Network. The new Zoom link will get you access to all of the upcoming monthly discussions.
* * *
Benjamin Friedman had an amazing roundup of productivity tools that he shared in Serial Marketers, and he welcomed me posting them here. How many are you using? And does anyone want to help relaunch MarketerFaves.com? It’s designed for this kind of thing, but it could use some TLC.
Monday.com – centralize all your work, processes, tools, and files
Trello – collaborate and manage projects
Airtable – connect your data, workflows, and teams
GTD philosophy from David Allen – personal productivity methodology
Microsoft’s Power BI – data visualization
Todoist – organize work and life
Evernote – notes, tasks, and schedule in one place
Monk Manual – book designed for peaceful being and purposeful doing
Motion – takes all of your tasks and meetings and builds one perfect schedule
TextExpander – shortcuts and abbreviations to speed up everything you type
Follow Up Then – simple way to schedule an email reminder
Process.st – manage your team’s recurring checklists and procedures
Threadit.app – short video recordings to share work
QTTabBar – extends Explorer by tabs and extra folder views
ZipMessage – async video messaging software
Sunsama – organize tasks, meetings, and emails in one place
Notion – connect your teams, projects, and docs
Roam Research – organize your research
Microsoft OneNote – cross-functional notebook
Asana – organize team’s work in one place
Be sure to subscribe to Benjamin’s Build Scale Grow newsletter.
* * *
I’ll close with something entirely unrelated that probably deserves better real estate than this erstwhile footnote.
There’s a wonderful (and free) exhibition at the New York Public Library‘s landmark Bryant Park branch with treasures amassed by the library over the past 125 years. The treasures span millennia and showcase artifacts from literature, theater, religion, politics, and so much more. I spent way more time there than I expected.
The one that struck me the most was a description of the New York Gazette published by printing pioneer William Bradford in the 1700s. The Gazette first appeared in 1725.
The description reads, “It was carelessly edited, its advertising was sparse, and subscriptions were never plentiful. Bradford persisted with his newssheet despite the difficulties, distributing it regularly until his retirement in November 1744.”
That’s one hell of an epitaph, and the kind of way I’d love to be remembered. It may not have been the biggest success, but he kept at it.
What a legacy.
- Joe Heel: Apprenticeships and Partnerships By Adam Conner of Dedicated.ai
- Web3 is the Future of Music, but also the Wild Wild West: Pitfalls to avoid – Hypebot By Bryce Carr, Director of Music Partnerships at social token, NFT platform Rally
- Visa Names Frank Cooper III Global Chief Marketing Officer By Kryssa Guntrum of Visa
HOW TO SHARE
Share it with five others who subscribe and receive 10 $CMO coins, along with other rewards. Even one referral will net you a coin (try it out).
Please submit any events you’re hosting to our calendar at https://serialmarketers.net/
UPCOMING SERIAL MARKETERS EVENTS
- 3/9: Serial Marketers Speedups on Upstream — connect with fellow marketers 1:1.
- 3/12: SXSW Marketer Social (password: marketers) — thanks Mediaocean and Prohaska Consulting!
- 3/16: Serial Marketers Community Salons, Co-hosted with Michael Bendit of Trusted Referral Network. We’ll feature Orli LeWinter, a long-time advisor to Serial Marketers. The theme will be what happened at SXSW that matters for marketers
- 4/6: First Wednesdays in-person NYC, Mason Jar on E 30th, 5-7pm. Hosted by our friends at Thece, thanks to our community advisor and advocate Zach Rozga. Come meet Zach while he’s in town, and enjoy a beverage or two of your choice.
SXSW 2022 MARKETER SOCIAL
March 12, Austin, TX
“Join Serial Marketers, Mediaocean, and Prohaska Consulting for this exclusive event for marketers during SXSW.The event is organized by the Serial Marketers professional community; request to join at serialmarketers.net. Drinks are generously provided by Mediaocean and Prohaska Consulting.(password: marketers)”
HOW YOUR METRICS STACK UP TO LEADING DTC BRANDS
March 15, Virtual
“Were you impacted more from the iOS 14 update than others in your vertical? How do your Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC), Clickthrough Rate (CTR), and revenue growth compare to other DTC brands? Join Hawke and Varos as we reveal results that leading DTC brands are seeing in their Facebook Ads and Shopify dashboards over the last year.”
8TH ANNUAL LDV VISION SUMMIT
March 23, Free Online Event
“LDV Capital brings together top technologists, entrepreneurs and investors to discuss groundbreaking visual tech and business opportunities in synthetic content creation, computational biology, chemistry, healthcare, space, sensors and chips, and so much more! Speakers come from Openwater, NASA, Inception Prelude Fertility, Pachama, MAC Venture Capital, Breakout Ventures, Northzone, Axiom Space, Prime Movers Lab, Glass Imaging, Streetlogic, BurnerPage, and Earkick. Expect enlightening keynotes, inspiring panel discussions and heated fireside chats for free from the comfort of your couch.”
16TH ANNUAL HOLIDAY COCKTAILS GALA 2021
March 29, TRIBECA 360° 10 Desbrosses Street New York, NY
“Connect with friends to help support the TD Foundation and celebrate how we have helped wounded warriors and the families of our fallen heroes during this trying year. Serial Marketers is donating $500 in $CMO coins to their auction, so come by and place your bid.”
Keep checking out the #jobs channel in Serial Marketers for more. Better yet, subscribe to get updates from our job listing board. Here are some great opportunities shared in these places or sent to me directly.
Business Development Manager
“Tesorio is looking for a passionate BDR manager to build out and manage a team of Business Development Representatives (BDRs). Your main focus will be ensuring your team is delivering a repeatable & profitable pipeline. You will measure BDR performance by pipeline sourced, monitor & coach daily activity inputs such as calls & emails, and work with Sales leadership to ensure BDR opportunities are closing. Your entrepreneurship will be a valuable contribution to developing Tesorio’s sales strategy, increasing the size and impact of the team, and establishing a culture of execution. This role reports directly to our SVP of Sales.”
“Tesorio is looking for a passionate and dynamic Sales Manager to build out and manage a team of Mid-Market Account Executives. You will leverage your sales leadership experience to help your team achieve individual and sales organization quotas. You will connect with product, marketing, and sales enablement to ensure your team has the knowledge, resources, support, and encouragement they need to excel. You will also be responsible for leading the internal and external recruiting effort to support team growth. This role reports directly to our SVP of Sales.”
Mid-Market Account Executive
“Tesorio is looking for a high velocity Account Executive (AE) to help us grow revenue. We are on pace to double in size this year and need motivated and determined sales professionals to reach our goals. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with 2-5 years selling experience to be part of a leading new Financial Technology software-as-a-service (SaaS) business.”
“At InSync.Ai, marketing is about understanding our customers and building awareness about how our products/services can satisfy their needs. Were looking for an experienced and versatile marketing manager who is hungry to do this and more. Our ideal candidate has experience developing and executing marketing campaigns while managing and inspiring a team. He/she will be comfortable with day-to-day marketing activities, as well as long-term strategy, thriving with tight deadlines and changing needs. If you are a people-person who loves the rewarding challenge of building a brand, we want to hear from you.”
Also, check out the Serial Marketers job board.
Other job resources:
- AMA Job Board: Listings from the American Marketing Association (maybe you can also ask them anything)
- Beeler.Tech: Job listings for ad operations, programmatic account management, sales operations, and more.
- Braintrust: A freelance platform where you are the owner and where freelance talent keeps 100% of the bill rate.
- Built in NYC: Jobs at a range of levels and functions, as long as you’re okay working in this quaint, backwater hamlet.
- Content Writing Jobs: Content marketers, enjoy
- Creative Women of Color: List yourself in the database and find talent, via Women Who Create
- Demand Curve: Growth and marketing jobs
- ExecThread: Senior roles spanning a range of verticals and cities; membership is free but fully vetted (this uses my referral ID to get you in faster)
- Gently Ventures: Helps scale businesses by finding the right talent
- Growth Collective: Apply to join this network of notable freelance marketers
- Grace Blue Transitions: A portal for hirers and seekers with resources from this exec recruiting firm
- The Hired Guns: An array of jobs in marketing and related fields at brands, agencies, and media companies
- Hue: Amplifying voices of people in color working in marketing
- Lunch Club: Match 1:1 around predetermined goals with accomplished professionals (free)
- NYC Ad Jobs & Networking: A popular Facebook group
- One Club for Creativity: COVID-19 jobs Board
- #OpenToWork: There’s a channel in Serial Marketers where you can share what you’re looking for
- Pangea: Hire college freelancers (and college students can get gigs)
- Pocit: A platform connecting people of color with jobs in the tech industry
- Questions to Ask for a Marketing Role: What questions should you ask when starting a new marketing role or job?
- Serial Marketers Job Board: Post regular and featured listings and subscribe for updates.
- Startup.Jobs: There’s a section for marketing jobs
- Teal: One place to organize and manage your job search.
- TechNY Daily: While more technical, there are also some sales and marketing jobs at NY startups.
- VC Job Boards: Aleph, Eniac Ventures, Pear, Sequoia, Union Square Ventures
- VentureLoop: Free startup job listings; their paid option is $15/month and might surface more leads (but it might not).
- Venwise: Submit your job interests here and get in front of their roster of hiring leads; select “Serial Marketers” under “How did you find us”
Do you run or enjoy other job listing sites? Let me know, and I’ll share them.
Below are offers extended to the Serial Marketers community. To share your own or access the Premium member discounts, review membership options here.
GPO: Generate at least 20% more organic traffic. Doing a strong job in SEO but wonder if more traffic can be had? GPO will custom-build an AWS instance that will become a subdomain of your site, and generate at least 20% more traffic the first year. Contact Cory Cox in the community to redeem.
Markman Speaker Management: Get 15% off the half-day customized virtual training session “Get Speaking Engagements” for individuals or corporate staff through Dec. 31, 2022. Contact Steve Markman to redeem.
Thece: Get 10% off their Getting Started Kit — just let them know Serial Marketers sent you.
My Software Tutor
My Software Tutor is offering all Excel and PPT courses through December 2021 at 50% off listed price. Learn the practical skills you need to succeed. Use promo code: SERIAL50. This code can be shared with friends and family. Register today on the MST website.
Marc Lefton is offering brands a free one-hour consultation on your media mix to show how you can integrate programmatic. For agencies, you can get a free one-hour consultation on how to add programmatic to your service offerings. To redeem, contact Marc by email.
Sign up and use the promo code SERIALMARKETERS to get 20% off on any membership plan. Membership enables you to access all deals with unlimited usage. One deal should more than pay for itself.
Create an account and start a 7-day free trial for $125 in ad spend credit toward your first experiment with this multivariate testing platform. Redeem here. (Premium members get $175 in credit with a custom code)
Following a 7-day trial of this AI-powered marketing tool to generate ads, product descriptions, and more, use code SERIALMARKETERS for 35% off any plan for 3 months (premium subscribers get 50% off for 4 months).